Cycling And Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As stated, some people use refugium as a show tank. You are right that it can be used for anything but as the name implies it is a refuge for species to survive. Pods will prosper without macro algae. Guess where they end up if you have strong current in their habitat.

I say sump because 99% of the refugiums out there are in the sump. I run the same gph through my sump as I do the partitioned off area we can call the refugium. Pods and algae grow very well, in all of my sumps, and I believe that the boat motor reference is nothing close to the current we are talking about here.

Im not sure how would those pods survive with such high current on the same chamber where the internal skimmer is. I never have luck with it. I now have this sump/fuge setup.

Attachments

• Fuge.jpg
    Fuge.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 83
I use the skimmer area as the intake. Water flows over a partition into the refugium compartment then to the return area. I suppose the top 1/3rd of the refugium may have stronger current than the bottom 2/3, but I don't find even the top 1/3 to be boat propeller type current.

Im not sure how would those pods survive with such high current on the same chamber where the internal skimmer is. I never have luck with it. I now have this sump/fuge setup.

I'm just curious, jeffaquarius - what proportion of water from the overflow do you have going into the skimmer chamber versus the fuge chamber? I'm looking to set up something similar.

As stated, some people use refugium as a show tank. You are right that it can be used for anything but as the name implies it is a refuge for species to survive. Pods will prosper without macro algae. Guess where they end up if you have strong current in their habitat.

It's still called a refugium when it doesn't have pods.
It's not called a refugium when there are just pods.

I'm just curious, jeffaquarius - what proportion of water from the overflow do you have going into the skimmer chamber versus the fuge chamber? I'm looking to set up something similar.

Most of the overflow water goes to the skimmer chamber. The fuge chamber can be controlled with a valve so you can play around with it. I have about just 20 %. of the total return.

Back
Top Bottom