Cycling "cured LR"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how long should I cure the rock?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
If this is going into an existing tank, cure it until there are no longer any ammonia or nitrite readings and the nitrate level isn't increasing.

If you're starting a new tank with it then cycle it as you would any other tank.

I hate to disagree. I have never received "cultured live rock" that didn't have several varieties of algae clinging to it in various stages of decay.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cultured LR are not exposed to light to propagate bacteria. Just wondering if there is a chance that algae will survive without light and water with high ammonia

I've never heard of that. why would light be a factor in curing? If you pull a rock out of your aquarium right now, you have "cured" rock in your hand, that's been exposed to plenty of light.

Cultured LR are not exposed to light to propagate bacteria. Just wondering if there is a chance that algae will survive without light and water with high ammonia

In a blacked out environment I would imagine there would be very little if any algae. I haven't ever personally seen any cured or curing rock that was kept in a container like that though. In low light such as ambient lighting there will be at least some algae. Ammonia levels won't hurt it any though, it will serve as a good source of food.

I've never heard of that. why would light be a factor in curing? If you pull a rock out of your aquarium right now, you have "cured" rock in your hand, that's been exposed to plenty of light.

You must have misread my comment when I said cultured LR are NOT exposed to light since all we care is produce bacteria and not algae. Ammonia is what is feed in the tank therefore there should be no algae either.

So how long should I cure the rock?

It depends on the condition of the cured LR when it arrives. As Greg said once those algae starts to decay, your rocks will no longer be cured rocks since you need to clean them with salt water. If the rocks are still wet, you still have bbs on them. After cleaning it may just take several days to bring it back as cured. Monitor its water parameter on a separate container. If it's a new tank cycling it is a good idea.

Cycling "cured LR"

That's right. If there are no fish or corals yet, you can just cycle the rock in the tank, monitor and do water exchanges. If there is existing animals then I would certainly cycle the new rock in a trash can with a circulation pump until they stop producing ammonia. Patience here as this process will take as long as it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking a 5ml shot would be enough. The rocks are in a container with about 10 gallons of water

Wouldn't there already be an ammonia source from all the die off? So why add the shrimp?

My dead rocks was leaching ammonia... You can put them in a bucket with a powerhead, then check if you see ammonia or nitrites...

Else you can add pure liquid ammonia, or a dead shrimp. 4-5ppm ammonia maximum seems appropriated for a good cycle.

Add 1 drop, and test...

Back
Top Bottom