Cycling "cured LR"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered some cured fiji from premium aquatics. I chose the 3 day shipping option. Will there be enough die off in this time that ill need to cycling the rock again?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should provide an ammonia source. I would also suggest a hearty scrub of any rock like this. I have some that came in thick with mud and die off that is still in the tank to this day, most likely leaching nitrates and such into my tank.

Put the rock in a container with a powerhead... Put a dead shrimp in a net in that container, wait ammonia raise to 3-4ppm and wait until it become nitrates.

I ordered some cured fiji from premium aquatics. I chose the 3 day shipping option. Will there be enough die off in this time that ill need to cycling the rock again?

Buying cured LR and then just cleaning them off just doesn't makes sense. If those LR are still wet when it arrives, I would not clean them. They already full of bb with some surprises and no need to cycle. Just take water parameter readings in separate container before adding them to your tank.

Wouldn't there already be an ammonia source from all the die off? So why add the shrimp?

You also want some complex proteins in the water to break down. That's why a shrimp is appropriate. Much of the die off in LR is plant based. At least that's my story.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I know cured LR are already full of beneficial bacteria. So what is the purpose of adding ammonia? I would just let the bb that are already present in the rocks to consume whatever ammonia is given off due to die off.

From what I know cured LR are already full of beneficial bacteria. So what is the purpose of adding ammonia? I would just let the bb that are already present in the rocks to comes whatever ammonia is given off due to die off.

So, this cured live rock that is under 3 day shipping will be submerged in water 100% of the time? Properly heated? It can't be cured well enough and depending on the weather it all could die off. You want to give it an ammonia source to ensure that it is cycled.

From what I know cured LR are already full of beneficial bacteria. So what is the purpose of adding ammonia? I would just let the bb that are already present in the rocks to consume whatever ammonia is given off due to die off.

The difference between plain live rock and "cured" live rock is that the cured live rock is immersed in water and is properly cycled without the die off that regular live rock has.

When you take this cured live rock out of water, wrap it in wet paper, and then ship it for days then you're killing a lot of the stuff that's on it. Sponges, bacteria, invertebrates, and so on. It stops fitting the description of cured live rock and instead just becomes live rock and needs to be properly cycled accordingly, especially since our beneficial bacteria is extremely sensitive to drying out.

Labeling live rock as cured, selling it at a premium, and then shipping it is a great way to con people out of money.

The difference between plain live rock and "cured" live rock is that the cured live rock is immersed in water and is properly cycled without the die off that regular live rock has.

When you take this cured live rock out of water, wrap it in wet paper, and then ship it for days then you're killing a lot of the stuff that's on it. Sponges, bacteria, invertebrates, and so on. It stops fitting the description of cured live rock and instead just becomes live rock and needs to be properly cycled accordingly, especially since our beneficial bacteria is extremely sensitive to drying out.

Labeling live rock as cured, selling it at a premium, and then shipping it is a great way to con people out of money.

I agree. Once it's shipped there will be die off in the rock. This can promote algae blooms as well as extend the cycling time. Other than getting some free hitch hikers that could be good or bad, I prefer starting with sterile rock and let it seed itself. It's a heck of a lot cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cycling "cured LR"

Bacteria will survive without heat or light as long as the rocks are moist for several days. Truly cultured LR doesn't have plants just bb.

I hate to disagree. I have never received "cultured live rock" that didn't have several varieties of algae clinging to it in various stages of decay.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your arguments seem to define cured LR as just the same as dry rocks where cycling is a must. If that's the case then what's the point of buying expensive cured LR? I'm sure everyone knows why the cured LR are kept moist when shipping.

I think the point is that once shipped the rock isn't really "cured" anymore. The curing process is a adaption process for the rocks bioload to help prevent shock and die off. Shipping the rock and introducing it to totally new water conditions would seem to reset the process of adaptation. So why buy cured rock unless it's been sitting around in your water for a while, adapting. That's why I would buy live rock and cure it at home. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I set up my 29 gal nano, I had used all cured LR with sand substrate. I did not have to cycle my tank and I did not have any problem after introducing fish on it. The only difference is that I bought the cured rocks locally. Having that said, the good advice would be not to buy cured LR on line and have it ship for several days. That's why my first comment on the thread is "it does not makes sense buying cured LR and then clean them".

I agree. I would not trust shipped rock to be cycled unless it was shipped submerged in heated water- an impossibility. At least test it in a separate container with an ammonia source.

Back
Top Bottom