Cycling/Nitrite question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my new 37 gal reef has finished cycling I think.....the nitrite was at .01 about 3 days ago....it is at zero now, and my nitrates never spiked and are also at zero...I used 40 lbs of aragalive sand and about 5 lbs of LR so far.....adding more daily. Seems quick for the nitrite to drop, but I added a filter pad out of my established tank...I think this may have helped a lot. I have already had a brown algae bloom and a green algae boom that covered the glass literally every two hours....that is almost over now and the water is crystal clear. The tank is crawling with copepods and small worms and bristle worms.

Is it possible my cycle is over? I just dont want to jump the gun, better safe than sorry!

Params are as follows:

NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
NH3/4 - 0
PH - 8.3
Temp - 79*f

Will adding two fish(pair of percs 1" each) cause another spike, or should a 37 gal be able to handle it?

Of course I will be doing 10 % PWC once a week ar as needed.

After adding the fish, what should I test for in particular?......In other words what would spike if somthing was going to spike from adding fish?

It looks like you are all set.
I thinnk you can get away with 2 clowns. Probably the smaller, the better, if possible. After you add the fish, I would check all levels, since it is still a newer tank. I believe, ammonia would be the first thing to spike, due to adding new fish, some one please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

The only reason I am even adding them right now is because the LFS wont hold them any longer and they are they only paid of black percs I have seen in a long long time.

They are kinda small, the bigger one is only about 1 1/2"....

I hate to put them in there right now, but I dont have much of a choice....some one else wants to buy the fish.....They actally came out of another customers reef that he had them in for over a year and I know they are healthy fish, I just want to make sure they stay that way!

I plan on doing tons of water changes for the first couple months....

Back
Top Bottom