Cycling or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frankie_Garcia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is This orange diatom or no?

image-3220234372.jpg

I just started this tank a week ago and only went from a 20gal long to a 29 gal. Parameters are great!

From what I can tell in the pic it looks like it. Its diatom is orange-ish brown. Did you use tap water?

oK its a type of algae that feeds of off silicone, nitrate and oxygen. In new tanks the silicone used to seal your tank releases tiny bits of silicone in to the water over time the tank will settle and mature and it will die off. I think it took about a month for it to go away in my tank. It got real bad where my live rock and everything was cover'd in it and then it started dieing off and now my tank looks beautiful. I would wait it out. You should google it and learn about it. Its interesting. Anyhow good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diatoms would make your water cloudy because they are microscopic and they float. It looks like you have cyano bacteria. It is caused by over feeding, low flow and if your skimmer is not effective.

It was red slime bacteria ? I'm having to to treat it because it is everywhere now

Back
Top Bottom