Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up my third tank it's a 55 gallon I got live sand and no rock yet it's been running for three week now. I have been testing water twice a week and since day one all my numbers have been 0 across the board why hasn't it started to cycle yet my other two tank were both cycling by now

Yes it's about 1/2 to 3/4 gone first time I ever cycled a tank with a shrimp also

The live sand are supposed to have bacteria already so if you did not get any spike, it means those bacteria are doing their job. You only cycle with none live sand and rocks. You should at least have a high nitrate.

I would make your tank spike with ammonia to be sure it has enough BB to sustain the fish you want to add. You can do this with another shrimp or dose with pure ammonia you get from ace hardware. This way you are sure you have what you need before you add anything. :)

Good point by Jeff above. If you are going to add live rock at all you need to have it in the tank during the cycle or else you will have to cure it in a separate tank once you get it before adding directly to the tank. If you are going with all dry rock it won't matter though.

But its the best to have the rock in place for the cycle as the bacteria will build up on the dry rock and add to your bb base. :)

I found some live rock on Craigslist the guy needs it gone by Saturday he said he has about 200 to 250 pounds he said he would sell me for 100 bucks when I ask him why he was tearing his tanks down he said he had a really bad Ick out break and lost over $1000 of fish he said he tried to save them but they all died I for got to ask him how he tried to treat them my question is if he used some kind of chemical will it be in the rock I want to buy he's gonna call me back tonight to let me know when I can pick it up and I will ask him what he treated his tank with is there a worse case where the rock will be no good he said the tank has been running for 6 yrs

It's a good deal!! Bleach the rock for 3-4 days. Then rinse it good using prime in the water, than just cycle it, I've done it a bunch of times, I think it's the best way of being safe of copper and other pests. Good luck

What do you mean by curing it in a separate container what does that do to I thought is it came out of one tank and right into mine it would be cured

You said you have no live rock in your tank? Thats what your supposed to cycle! Not your sand, well you can buy its the rock that has lots of dead shi* in there that will turn into ammonia and nitrate, that's why you would have to cycle it again or cycle your tank all over again

I feel so stupid i got it now I'm getting the rock Friday so I will just put it in the tank and start it all over again since I'm in no big hurry but thank for clearing that all up I was think I was cycling the water but it all makes sense now I always wondered why we did water changes all the time I was thinking I was changing good water wow I knew I joined this site for a reason lol ii can't believe I thought that and now no why it didn't make any sense. Thanks again

When I find out what he dosed his tank with I will get back to you if you don't mind and see if I should still bleach it or if it will be ok

No problem, but I would still bleach the rock, if he did use a heavy copper treatment you won't get it out any other way, and he will prob tell you he didn't use anything which is prob true if his fish died, but you don't want to take the chance

You can test one of the rocks if it has copper on it. Just soak it in salt water and test the water. If it's good all you need to do is not to put fish in tank for a month while cycling.

Yeah that sounds good didn't think of that that's what I'm going to do thank you all so much

Back
Top Bottom