Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cycling Tank with live rock

If I were to cycle my tank all at the same time with live rock and sand in it. Will it hurt the live rock. I was planning on fishless cycle with raw shrimp. I would build my reef put sand in then live rock then water. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
You can put all the live rock and sand together. Actually if your live rock is uncured, which means it's dry live rock, you don't need to use raw shrimp, the Live rock and sand will be enough to start the cycle IMO.

I let the experts chime in for more info to help you.

bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where did you get the LR from? Does it have any sponge or anything still on it? Bawel is right..you won't need the shrimp unless the LR was really bare. Do you have test kits? If the LR is not too dry, you should see an Ammonia spike pretty quickly.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay thank you I was planning on ordering the live rock from live rock n reef. They say no need to cure and it is "full of life". So yes there will be sponges coral starfish etc. Im sure some critters will not make it but do you think any will? Also the live rock rubble will be going in the sump first stage of the sump. Thoughts???
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling with both live rock and sand is the way to do it, in my humble opinion. Even if it's "cured" live rock, some stuff will die off during shipment so it won't be "ready to go" the minute you fill the tank. I'd throw the shrimp in anyway and not rely on die off to start the cycle. If the rock is cured, the cycle will be short and you most likely won't see much (if any) ammonia before the nitrates start to show up. Some critters will probably not survive, but most will. You'll be amazed!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Kurt...
Well I just got all the plumbing done on the tank over the weekend I have been getting odds and ends over the past month and still need some main ingredients. I am going to order the live rock and sand at the same time as I need to get a ro/di unit prior to this and a few more things before I can get it going. I have taken pictures of everything and intend on starting a build thread on here. But I am going to wait on that so I can get more pictures. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Cycling with both live rock and sand is the way to do it, in my humble opinion. Even if it's "cured" live rock, some stuff will die off during shipment so it won't be "ready to go" the minute you fill the tank. I'd throw the shrimp in anyway and not rely on die off to start the cycle. If the rock is cured, the cycle will be short and you most likely won't see much (if any) ammonia before the nitrates start to show up. Some critters will probably not survive, but most will. You'll be amazed!
Kurt, may I ask, why the shrimp in addition to the organic die off on the shipped live rock? If there is die off, that should be enough to cause a cycle, although as you pointed out, if the rock is cured it should be minicycle.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think what he was saying is use that to jump start the cycle. Or maybe just to show the ammonia and nitrite. You know Im not really sure either but I am thinking of doing it just like that live sand, live rock, live rock rubble(in sump) and a couple shrimp. I was going to put the shrimp in a baggie with holes punched in it so that it does not decompose fully in the tank. It will still work right? Ive heard of doing this so I suppose it will.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only reason I suggested that was because it doesn't hurt anything to add the shrimp. Depending on how the cured rock is shipped, there may be a lot of die off, or just a little. If a little, then you might not see any detectable ammonia at all, and be left wondering where you're at in the cycle. And with that little amount of die off, you most likely won't detect any nitrates. But if you throw a shrimp in there and it starts decaying, and after a couple weeks you STILL see no ammonia and your nitrates are rising, then that's pretty good proof you're good to go.

Yeah... the shrimp in a baggie with holes in it is a good thing. Wish I'd of done that the first time! Yuck.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Only reason I suggested that was because it doesn't hurt anything to add the shrimp. Depending on how the cured rock is shipped, there may be a lot of die off, or just a little. If a little, then you might not see any detectable ammonia at all, and be left wondering where you're at in the cycle. And with that little amount of die off, you most likely won't detect any nitrates. But if you throw a shrimp in there and it starts decaying, and after a couple weeks you STILL see no ammonia and your nitrates are rising, then that's pretty good proof you're good to go.

Yeah... the shrimp in a baggie with holes in it is a good thing. Wish I'd of done that the first time! Yuck.
Gotcha (was just wondering), thank you

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, live, live rock, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com