Cyno! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have cyno...:(

How do i get rid of it?

Sorry, i dont know what info i should provide. Tests are always right on! 0,0,5

People have told me that cyano is generally a cause of a little too much food. :) I have also heard that water changes can help too. :)

redsea said:
People have told me that cyano is generally a cause of a little too much food. :) I have also heard that water changes can help too. :)

I do water changes every week.:D

Lol...ya i have been feeding that new chalk bass alot....he is so cool when he eats!!! Hahaha!

Over feeding, lights on too long. Your best bet will be to feed less, maybe cut back on your light schedule depending what it currently is. You'll have to remove as much as possible by hand. Keep the water chages up. It can be a battle lol.

BallinCrew10 said:
Over feeding, lights on too long. Your best bet will be to feed less, maybe cut back on your light schedule depending what it currently is. You'll have to remove as much as possible by hand. Keep the water chages up. It can be a battle lol.

Ok, lights are from 8-9 i think..too much? Ill try to scoop some out! Syphon it out? Im not feeding every other day sparingly

8am to 9pm? 13 hours is overkill i. What kind of lights do you have? My 8 bulb t5 is on for 7 hours.

Yea 13 hours is a lot. Cutting that back is step 1. Do you mean you're not going to cut back on feeding? Or just stating your feeding schedule? Your fish will be fine with every other day. They'd actually be fine with less than that but I feed every other day and all is well.

The rule if thumb I always go with is cut your feeding and light schedule by half, and do twice the amount of water changes . Also vacuum out as much cyano as possible :)

Great thanks guys! I was told awhile ago to have that type of scheduale, but ill change it!

And yes, i was refering to how i am not going to feed every other day. Not every day:D

Ill vacumm/scoop it out today, but im afraid i cant do any more water changes than usual..im outta salt!! Lol

Speaking of which, is it okay to just scoop it out?

AquaRick said:
8am to 9pm? 13 hours is overkill i. What kind of lights do you have? My 8 bulb t5 is on for 7 hours.

Oh 4 bulb t5 over a 30 gallon

I'd start off with 7 hours of full lights. Maybe half an hour or an hour of actinics only before and after your full lights if you'd like.

AquaRick said:
I'd start off with 7 hours of full lights. Maybe half an hour or an hour of actinics only before and after your full lights if you'd like.

Cool. Will do! Right now i have 1 hr of antics before and after the fulls

I had cyno over every piece of rock in my tank. N it was covered by it. I stopped feeding them frozen foods for a little n bought a phosban reactor. The cyno was completely gone in a couple days. I also learned when feeding them frozen food, after u let thaw out, put a little bit on your finger n put it in the tank. Let the fish eat it then do it again. Helps with not having so much uneaten food.

My Little Ocean said:
Phosphates the problem here needs to be trace undetectable to normal test kits, rowaphos best for this

Rowaphos? Whats that?

What is your phosphate reading? What's your feeding schedule like.

With regular PWCs and good feeding habits, your phosphates shouldn't be too high? Seems like you have your trates under control so i'd think you're feeding ok.

His phosphate reading might not be a good indicator. The cyano and other algae might be consuming most of it and a test might show a lower number than what's truly in there.

Back
Top Bottom