Cyno bloom in pwc water???? What the..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...I'll keep this brief...

Filled up my 2-5gallon buckets on saturday morning, adjusted the salinity and walked away. It's Sunday night and Im getting ready to do my weekly water change and........

I notice that 1 bucket has some "debris" floating around in it AND it also has some kind of reddish (looks like Cyno to me) stuff on the bottom and some on the sides. It also amazes me bc I have a rio2500 in there, so that water is moving!!

Now the water was very high in temp (85degrees) because of the heat generated by the rio, but I don't see any way that anything could have bloomed in a day and a half I'm freshly mixed saltwater??

Lastly...the water has a slight odor to it...not rancid, but kinda like an algae smell.

Could it be Cyno or some type of algae?? How could it get there? And so quick?

Needless to say...I didnt want to risk it and dumped it.

Thanks in advance!

This is a long shot but could have you gotten the buckets mixed up and mixed your fresh saltwater into one of your waste buckets? That is the only thing I can come up with.

joy13 said:
This is a long shot but could have you gotten the buckets mixed up and mixed your fresh saltwater into one of your waste buckets? That is the only thing I can come up with.

I haven't siphoned any waste water at this point?
I also just took apart the rio and found the Cyno colored stuff inside where the impeller is and inside the safety cover.

Possible that the rio had some algae on it and the extended hi temp mix period brought it to life??

Back
Top Bottom