cyno or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i have battled with this for some time and i am getting more and more frustrated when i see my sand bed get crap all over it within hours after a water change.
img_728653_0_6e655fc6289b18e032cde3c13978b62f.jpg

img_728653_1_2bea70defdca2401a9747d40682e3959.jpg

I have to clean rock once a week this cant be right
paramaters are:
amm:0
nitrite: 0
nitrate:15 (dosnt get above this most of the time is 0)
KH: 10-11
Cal: 375 and still rising

Filtration, there isnt much, its only a skimmer with stacks of LR, but i dont have that much of a bioload at all.
the tank is 75gal.
I cant think of anything else you might need????

any help is appreciated.

That is defintely cyano IMO. How old is your system? And what water do you use to top up? Some new systems will go through this stage IME because this happened to both of my tank when I just started them eventhough I use RO/DI water. Once the tank settle down they should go away. But that is only if you use RO/DI water, I am sure this will continue or get even worse if you are not using RO/DI water.

Just my personal opinion. I could be wrong as I am still new here.

always use RO/di for top ups and water changes
tank is atleast 8 months old, but this only started once i got my halides, it just took off.

Looks like cyano/diatoms.
You can increase flow to those areas to help and reduce lighting. You can also syphon them off ... We use distlled for mixing and H20 changes and have had no problems ....Cut back on feedings as well . And do a few extra water changes wont hurt either :mrgreen:

i too just installed mh lighting, and i am noticing some of the same brownish colors on my rocks too. let me know what you find. is the brownish color diatoms or cyano?

mwrmma i wish i knew i have posted on 3 forums and no one can say one of the other i am getting mixed replys.

Every has said just keep water changes up and get a clean up crew, and check phosphate levels.

So i am now going to buy some phosphate sponges and see how this spans.

Like melosu asked (Feeding frequency - and what are you feeding?), and I'm also interested in what kind circulation you got in the tank. PHs, how many and what gph?

If feeding frozen brine or myisis, I've heard that the water that stuff comes in (frozen of course) contain LOTS of phosphates. I now rinse mine with fresh water after it thaws.

How long ago did the MH lights go in?

Also, check your phosphate readings from your ro/di. Just curious if the filters are OK and need changing.

IME, cycano is reddish and diatoms are brown.

cycano is reddish and diatoms are brown
I cannot see the pic as my work comp blocks it. If it is clearish brown slime, then it is probably dinoflagelletes. The treatment is pretty much the same as cyano.

How often are you feeding and do those areas have enough flow?
everyother day and
tank is 75 gal and i have 2 x 3600 lph and 1200lph this is stacks its about 30 times turn over
If feeding frozen brine or myisis, I've heard that the water that stuff comes in (frozen of course) contain LOTS of phosphates. I now rinse mine with fresh water after it thaws.
this could be my issue i use these food alot

oh and halides on for only 7 hours i cut them back a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom