Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
cyno prob?

i've been battling cyno for some time now all my nitrates are up a little and my phsphate is to. I can't get an ro/di yet next month i hope so i had enough monet to buy a phoban reactor though so i did do you guys think that will help it should be here monday, oh and i bought new bulbs for my pc. I do pw changes 10% every 7 to 10 days i feed very little. Just wondering if the reactor will help until i get my ro/di. here's a pic of my tank. Tell me what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full_tank_shot_2_433.jpg (95.5 KB, 58 views)

morgan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think you should do what you can to insure it doesnt spread too much until your water issues are under control. Siphoning that out daily with an airline tube will help. I would think the reactor may help some, but not as much as water changes with RO/DI water will.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Hara that the reactor will help some but definitely not as much as the RO/DI. You need to get to the root not use a bandaid. Good Luck
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Your tank looks very familiar to me. I was having the same problem not too long ago. I got rid of mine by adding a couple more powerheads to increase surface agitation and current around my rocks. It seems that cyano doesn't like fast moving current or oxygen. I also cut back on my lighting a little to slow it's growth. I feel for you. This stuff is a real pain.
ColdFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
thanks for the info guys.
never count on nothing, that way you'll never be disapointed!
morgan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I just want to share my experience in cyano with everyone.

I used to fight cyano previously for period of 2 months. After I start using distilled water then I noticed the cyano is slowing going away. I also syphon it out weekly then I put in some Phosguard from Seachem into the filter.

Eventhough there is no trace of phosphate I was told cyano exist because of phosphate therefore I use some Phosguard.

Eversince the cyano has now gone so now I keep using this 2 things (distilled water and Phosguard).

Just some ideas.

weekf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com