Cyno problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecomdesign

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had the tank setup for 1 1/2 weeks. Its was as established 2 year old tank before i bought it out of the classifieds. I had a water flow problem last week and I bought 3 powerheads to get my 90 gallon flowing at the preffered rate. I'm trying to get a plan together to get rid of the cyno slime on my sand. Here is what I'm thinking:

1.clean protien skimmer. I rushed getting the tank setup as I had a few corals, a shrimp and a starfish that I didn't want to die in the bucket. and didn't clean it over night with vinegar. I plan to do this on the weekend.

2.test for phosphates with a kit that detects organic phostphates. If levels are high, how can I reduce. Can you get a phosphate remover and add to display tank?

3.Get mico algae growning in refugium. I read that Caulerpa is good for removing phoshates and silicates, but it can overgrow if it becomes sexual. What other mico can I add that isn't such a problem down the road?

4. Dose with Kalk if needed. Not sure of any negative side effects?

5. Vacum surface of sand daily

6. If all else fails, use Maracyn tablets.

Am I on the right track here? Sould I change the order around a bit or just do all of the above?

I have only feed the brittle star fish 3 times with snails, finaly cut since I bought the tank. My actinics are on from 10am to 11pm and my hetal halide are on from 2-9. I use ro water from water depot right now, until I can get my own rodi unit. I'm not sure if the water is ro/di or just ro. Does it matter?

so, if a test wont work to detect phosphates, can I just assume that I have high levels and add a remover, thus killing the cyno? Maybe another way around it is to call my water source and ask them if they test for phosphates and silicates?

Back
Top Bottom