cyno starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan24

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok guys i think i have a big problem starting up. I have cyno starting in my sand and on some of my rocks. i dont have a ro/di system set up yet i'm a little shot on cash mt transmission just went out on my car and that took up my savings of 1300 bucks so what can i do i tested every thing it all comes out fine accept my nitrate its about 10. i increased my water flow,lowered my lighting to 6 hours, do 20% water change every 4 days filter is kept clean. the only thing i haven't checked is my phosphate i think that is whats the prob but noy sure. should i get some phosozorb or whatever its called and some chemi pure and run that. or what should i do any help would be great thanks and sorry for the long post...

Sorry to hear about your car. That is a pretty big financial spanking. The presence of cyno in your tank is a sign of too much nutrients in the tank. usually comes in the form of PO4. Step one is getting a PO4 test kit. Step two is doing a 20% water change using good quality RO/DI water. You can get this at most LFS or even some grocery stores. Test the source water that you are putting into the tank to ensure it is PO4 free. If you are doing water changes every four days with source water that is loaded with PO4 you are not really helping the issue.
should i get some phosozorb or whatever its called and some chemi pure and run that.
Hold off of chemical for now. You are still early into this thing. Chemi-Clean works pretty well to remove exsisting cyno from the tank but does nothing to keep it from coming back. Identifying the and eliminating the source is the only way to get rid of cyno. Good luck!

How often and how much are you feeding. Are you using tap water, I guess you are. I know my tap water is high in phosphates. If you dont have a RO does the LFS you deal with have RO water. Hope you find the problem

do 20% water change every 4 days
You may want to ease up on the water changes for now. Since your using tap water, and you don't know the po4 or TDS levels of it you may actually be replenishing and increasing the nutrients in the tank w/ each water change. Be sure to monitor nitrate levels if you do decrease the water change frequency or amount.

how old is the tank and what do you have in it.?
as you know ro/di will help, how about a skimmer do you have one?
PO4 test kit is needed.... water flow how much??
TDS level will do nothing for you when using tap water so don't even worry about that..

sorry about the wait on my responses but my computer was a little screwed up i just ordered a po4 test today and a cheap skimmer its a visi-jet but hey its better than nothing. i got some phoso-zorb to it all should be here in 2 days. My cyno hasn't really got any worse its just in the sand a little and little patches on my lr. i'm saving to get a ro/di unit as soon as i can but money is really short right now until my bills get caught up than i will have money again can't wait. then im going to get a 75 gl or 55 don't know yet and i'm going to buy a cpr bak pak some metal halides and convert every thing over and then use my 20gl for my fuge. But i'm going to get it all for it before i set it up. sorry for the long post and thanks for reading it .

Back
Top Bottom