Cynobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone else have tons of cynobacteria in Their refugium and if so should I get it out. I have a lot in there and it's covering all of the macro I have in the refugium. How do u eliminate cynobacteria and would it be wise to put a small nano power head in the refugium

I recently had a small amount growing in my DT. Went to the LFS and they said try Chemiclean. You run it thru your system for 48 hours and then do a 20% water change. Worked great. Depending on how bad it is, you could do a second dosage within a couple of weeks. Great stuff and no ill effects on my corals or livestock.

i would try increasing the flow. the main purpose of macro algae is to outcompete GHA and cyano for nutrients and macro absorbs them from the water that flows through it. Suck up the cyano with a turkey baster and add a nano PH and see how that works out.

Do u think I should put a small power head in the refugium

you could try it. I know that my chaeto grows fast when I have good water flow running through it. The only problem I had is that I am not a fan of tumbling chaeto as strands will break off get to your return pump. So a powerhead will benefit. I now keep my chaeto in a basket to keep from getting blown around. As mentioned, Chemi-clean is good stuff and works, but I would only use it when in desperation and I assume the cyano is only in your sump.

Yeah it's only in the sump the display tank is fine but my fear is that it will eventually make its way I to the display. What kind of power head would u suggest or do u use

I recently had a small amount growing in my DT. Went to the LFS and they said try Chemiclean. You run it thru your system for 48 hours and then do a 20% water change. Worked great. Depending on how bad it is, you could do a second dosage within a couple of weeks. Great stuff and no ill effects on my corals or livestock.

+1 on Chemiclean. Just had a cyano outbreak & the stuff worked awesome! Word of advice if you have a skimmer, shut it down while using the Chemiclean, and keep a real close eye on it when you power it back up cause it'll overflow FAST!

Chemicclean is safe but was not intended to work with skimmers. My skimmer went crazy for weeks afterwards. But it does work.

I found increasing flow over the sandbed killed all my bacteria . Might want to consider that

Chemicclean is safe but was not intended to work with skimmers. My skimmer went crazy for weeks afterwards. But it does work.

I found increasing flow over the sandbed killed all my bacteria . Might want to consider that

I fought it for about a month and a half before giving in to a chemical. I siphoned the sand bed every couple days, moved power heads, and all that did was create a sand storm. The stuff just kept coming back. Now I'm noticing my lr is turning green, so who knows now what. I would say as a last ditch effort it does what it says. Kills cyano

Back
Top Bottom