Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Any amount of PO4 is enough to bring on cyno. Test all waters and post numbers. It is a battle you want to jump on quickly.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
i had this problem for awhile and was certain my phosphates werent coming from an outside source...i have a little larger bioload that i should have and water changes that fast were getting expensive and time consuming...i invested in better flow and that helped but there were still spots...so i invested in a PHOSBAN REACTOR...look into that they are really nice and simple to use

Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My personal experience with cyano might be helpful.

I battled a serious problem for nearly 1 year. The only way I could keep the system alive was to carefully siphon off the cyano and do water changes nearly daily while I attempted one cure, then another.

I cut back on feeding...which has cost me a number of detrivores, and seriously hurt my sun coral.

First, I checked Phosphates. I could not detect any, but used various phosphate removers and AC for a time without effect.

I replaced all the filters in my RO/DI equipment. No effect.

I replaced all my lights, including my MH bulb which was only 8 months old. No effect.

I desperately experimented with various cyano remover chemicals like chemi-clean and red slime remover. I do believe that the red slime remover actually had an effect, but it was very short term.

I began aggressively vacuuming (sp?) my sand bed. (Which turned out to be pretty dirty!). This led to the eventual complete removal of the sand bed and plenum that was in my sump. No effect. (as a side note, I did discover than my sump sand had clumped and was making it difficult to maintain Ca/Alk/Mg levels)

Finally...I made the big financial decision to replace my Prism Pro with a Euro-Reef CS6-1 skimmer. I thought that the Prism Pro was working fine. I certainly had to clean it regularly. My system is maybe 40 gallons, so the CS6-1 seemed like pretty excessive skimming. Whamo! Overnight removal of a problem that lasted nearly 1 year!

That's my experience for what it is worth!

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com