My personal experience with cyano
might be helpful.
I battled a serious problem for nearly 1 year. The only way I could keep the system alive was to carefully siphon off the cyano
and do water changes nearly daily while I attempted one cure, then another.
I cut back on feeding...which has cost me a number of detrivores, and seriously hurt my sun coral.
First, I checked Phosphates. I could not detect any, but used various phosphate removers and AC
for a time without effect.
I replaced all the filters in my RO
equipment. No effect.
I replaced all my lights, including my MH
bulb which was only 8 months old. No effect.
I desperately experimented with various cyano
remover chemicals like chemi-clean and red slime remover. I do believe that the red slime remover actually had an effect, but it was very short term.
I began aggressively vacuuming (sp?) my sand bed. (Which turned out to be pretty dirty!). This led
to the eventual complete removal of the sand bed and plenum that was in my sump. No effect. (as a side note, I did discover than my sump sand had clumped and was making it difficult to maintain Ca
Finally...I made the big financial decision to replace my Prism Pro with a Euro-Reef CS6-1 skimmer. I thought that the Prism Pro was working fine. I certainly had to clean it regularly. My system is maybe 40 gallons, so the CS6-1 seemed like pretty excessive skimming. Whamo! Overnight removal of a problem that lasted nearly 1 year!
That's my experience for what it is worth!
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO
, 10K MH
pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR
.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR
critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal