damn Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok just got another Anemone on the weekend its kinda like the one below in the piture just very long tenticiles. and beautiful.

img0080.jpg

the only problem is i can ancher it down i have tried to wedge it down with some LR rubble but since its so damn slippery, in a matter of hours its out and flying all over the tank stinging my blue tang and other Anemone. what can i do to get this guy to stay in one place?

hey never thought of that, how long can i leave the tank PH less??? as the oxygen will obviously lower.

U don't have to turn them off for that long. It took my BTA just a few secs to attack its foot to its location then iturned my PHs back on. If it takes ur anem. longer, i don't think leaving the PH's off for a few hours would hurt. Do u have a skimmer? if u do, no need to worry about oxygen

ok i have had gut full now i left the ph's off for 6 hrs and turn them on agin in a matter of hours he is loose again floating around the tank stinging everything.
I have tried different spots in the tank nothing. i have even tried burrying him in sand and still no go what else can i do before i take it back to LFS. they had it mouted in half a coke bottle so the current would get to it great idea but looks terrible for a display tank.
Really need some advice

He is going to move to wherever he gets what he needs, like light and current and such. I don't believe you will be able to force it to stay where you want it too.
How old is your tank? Could you possible add a clownfish, maybe it might help it to acclimate sooner. If it hosts the other anenmoe, at least that one will have some protection. I'm not sure this will really work and you might just have to take it back to your LFS.....

Roka thanks, but the thing is its not like he is moving like walking as such he slips out of his position and then once that happens the PH's toss him around the tank like food. I just cant keep him down he wont attach himself to anything or if he does it seems as though he is not storng enogh to hold.
And i am putting him in places where there is little flow.

Hmmm, sounds like it might not be well. How long did you acclimate it? What are your water parameters. It sounds like there may be a problem with his foot, do you see any tears? I am no expert and don't even own one, yet, but from reading, that might be where I would start. Unless some one with more experience can step in and give more helpful experience/help.

no tears i can see the foot, he was acclimate for over 1 hour with small amouts of my water added to the bag.

tested last night
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate .025
ph 8.2
Cal 525
temp is 26deg cel

I am doing a water change tonight to lower the nitrate, i know i dont have to but i like to see the 0 number alot.

also last night i put him in a different place and what seems to happen is he genetares this goo(looks like a clear thin slim), which i suppose is making him stick there, so it looks like he is trying foor himself but just dosnt have the strangth to keep him there. So far he hasnt moved to much from where i put him last night but i can only wait and see.

Anems don't need to generate any "goo" to stick. If they like the spot, their feet generally just stick to the surface. It sounds like ur anem is stressed, so it has lost its stickiness

I think u should place it anywhere (even in a cave/hole but u have to be able to monitor its health) in the tank where there's little or no flow. Keep the PHs on and let it find a secure spot on its own. I doubt that the anem would attempt to move to an area where there's too much flow, which would blow the anem around.

HTH

here is an update,
after moving it the other day as it was loose and lying on its side, i look at its foot, it seems as though it is now torn. is there anything i can do to help it out i have plced it in a part of the tank were ther is very little flow and its laying on its side again this moring but it had moved from it position it is now about 10cm away from were last placed. But i think the PH's had to do with the relocation over night.

There's lil hope that it will survive since its foot is damaged.

I do not think that the PH pushed it overnight but it moved there on its own. Anems can move quite quickly if they don't like their current place. Just leave it alone, don't touch/move it or u'll risk damaging it more.

My first experience with anem was a Pink tipped haitain anem. I messed/moved/pulled it alot, trying to get it to stay somewhere viewable. I noticed that the more i move it, the more it will try to relocate itself. I ended up damaging its foot :(. So try not to "control" it too much

thats the plan. thanks for all the help FishFrik.
I will keep you updated.

Anenomies will move till they find the right spot for them. You cannot try to keep them where you want and wedge them and try to make them stay as they will rip the foot trying to get away. Once they do that there is almost no hope. If you have one all you can do is just let them move to a spot that suits them.

Back
Top Bottom