Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
**** You Oceanic!

Quick question for you guys. Im using Oceanic's salt and am getting readings in the range of 495 with a sailfert test kit which is not uncommon with this salt as wel all know I try to keep my alk at 10.5 using ESV's B-Ionic to raise it when it lowers. I never use the calcium part due to the fact my calcium is high to begin with my question is should I try to lower the calcium or am i fine by leaving it?

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
IMHO I'd say that 495 is safe. Just try not to go too much higher.
After seeing your post I might consider switching to Oceanic salt! My Calcium is always low and I have to use kents turbo calcium to supplement. D@mn you InstantOcean

Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I never go above 495 thats what mine is out of the box which like i said is not uncommon. I just dont wanna snow my tank out or have any negative effect on my corals due to the high level. Aside from the high CA I have no problem with the oceanic salt. My PH like so many have complaied about being low with this salt has always been a constant 8.2-8.3. As long as this oceanic is working for me I won't switch back to IO or any other salt for that matter. Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

While im on the subject of CA and ALK since my ESV ALK bottle is running out have any of you used baking soda to raise ALK seeing how KALK will not work for me due to my CA number now. Will the baking soda effect the CA or anything else? I don't know much about baking soda and ALK I thought it also does something to the ph as well, not sure. TIA
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
steve-s

Baking soda will raise only the alk, it will have no long term affect on pH if any at all. More commonly it will temporarily depress pH. It can be used in place of buffers as it add little else.

FWIW, 495 Ca is not a good thing if you have inverts/scleractinians. If that's the case you should try targeting 415-420 ppm at most (salinity depending). Unfortunately though if your saltmix keep up with your Ca demand you most likely do not have enough pull on the chem to keep that down.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My demand is not that great and would like to bring that CA number down to a normal 420 but with the oceanic I dont see how I can accomplish this. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Is your tank Ca 495 or the new make up water? I use Oceanic and my Ca is 420 when I test my tank. My Alk is 2.5-3 meg/L and PH is 8.1-8.2. I don't dose anything currently. I attribute it all to the salt. I am still on my first bucket though.

I hope my next bucket will be the same...
Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My CA on new water out of a bucket of oceanic is 495. Thats with a sg of 1.025 which I keep the tank at.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's not bad. Just add more coral to consume the CA

I've used several other salts, but appreciate the ease of solubility of Oceanic and the clarity of the water.

So long as your pH and Alk are in line - CA will naturally reduce itself with enough load on the system. 8) How often are you doing water changes (how much, and what size tank)?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

my ph is constant 8.2-8.3 my alk I leave at 10.5 dKH. I do water changes once every 2 weeks. about 15-20 gallons of water, 46G tank.

Tags
oceanic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com