Damped Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright lady's and gentleman, I'm looking in to a new tank.

I haven't gotten anything yet for my build.

I currently have a 38 gallon reef up and running. However, ITS TOO SMALL!

So guess what? UPGRADE TIME.

I'm looking into getting a tank between 50-70 gallon range. And I want to do it right this time, with a sump.

I will be doing a DIY stand and canopy.

And for the overflow method, I'm going to be using herbies method.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a ProFlex sump model 3.

I'm going to be needing help from you guys because im clueless on how to plumb my aquarium and all that stuff.

I'm looking forward to this build and I hope you guys can give me pointers and advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1100074625.jpg
    image-1100074625.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 126
i would suggest going even bigger. there is not much of a difference between 38 and 50-70gal tank. you still won't be able to have beautiful big fish such as tangs and you will out grow it in under a year.

speaking from experience! i out grew my 20gal in less than 6month and my 46gal in less than a year. now i am planning to go bigger and i will be skipping the 100 and 150 straight to a 220gallons. i believe that tank is just perfect for this hobby.

Problem is, I just don't have the space for such a large tank:( I need to keep it under 4 feet

I know some fish stores do custom makes and especially my lfs they can turn a 75g length and make it taller and wider becoming a 110g. But you might need a ladder after certain makes like that.

I'm going to be taking down the 38 gallon and put everything in the new one

go as big as you can! if you can do 4' i highly recommend a 90gal! a

and keep us posted on the process!

I might go with a 90! But I also have a budget so..

I agree, if you are replacing it... go big or go home! You dont want to find yourself being in the same position of wanting a bigger tank another 8 months down the road, and you know you inevitably will eventually =D

I think I'm going to go with a 75 gallon. 48x18x20. It's cheaper than the 90. The 75 is $190 and the 90 is like $320.

Sometimes I just wonder where these prices come from my saltwater store sell a 90g for 300 or around tht and my nearest pet lands sell a 125g for about 175 or 200 both with no stand

Yeah I know, my lfs sells flame angels for $89.99...

Alright so I'm stuck on the 75 gallon. It's perfect for what I want. It's not too big, not too expensive, and not too big to maintenance. Now I'm going to be needing advice on how to plumb this thing.

No I don't, I want to get it cut by the store I'm buying it from. It's like $25 per hole..

Back
Top Bottom