Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Damsel

Ive had my tank for a while now and when I first started I decided I would buy a Damsel...Stupid decision I just wanted to warn all who are new to this never to buy a blue damsel they are the most annoying destructive fish if I could kill mine I would....He covers my coral up with sand at night and kills it! It is so annoying.
He moves rocks around in the tank its not worth the $6 for the pain it will cause you. My next tank will have no damsels.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it a yellow tail blue damsel ?

If so i got one about 3-4 months ago to start my cycle .... So far nothing happened thank god

Maybe its when they get bigger that problems start

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh I hate them as well. I still have one that was in my aggressive tank for 2 years he was the first saltwater fish I ever bought. but since the break down he's been in qt with my other aggressive fish but he might find his was back to the lfs
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopitar View Post
Is it a yellow tail blue damsel ?

If so i got one about 3-4 months ago to start my cycle .... So far nothing happened thank god

Maybe its when they get bigger that problems start
Mine went almost a year untill it started to pick on everyfish in the tank except the maroon clown. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck View Post
Mine went almost a year untill it started to pick on everyfish in the tank except the maroon clown. Good luck.
Mine also went abt 9 mo before he started too they seem fine when they are young but when they get older look out

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057 View Post

Mine also went abt 9 mo before he started too they seem fine when they are young but when they get older look out
Yep its nuts I don understand how such a little fish can do so much damage. And when her was young he look looked really cool now he just looks straight up mean
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I learned this lesson years ago and ive never bought a damsel since. Last one i had was a blue damsel, had him for 3 months then suddenly he went crazy killing anything like someone just flipped a switch in his head. They are wired this way

And when they do turn good luck getting them outta the tank without tearing your rock work down. They are smart and paranoid, catching them is near impossible.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Damsels do not play well with others. But I am thinking about doing a fish-only damsel tank, because there are some beautiful damsels out there. Just keep them the hell away from my reef.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had to pull all my rock out to catch mine. He was a yellow-tail blue damsel. We called him the demon damsel. He killed 6 shrimp, 2 other damsels, and a goby.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are there any warning signs before they go psycho? I've had mine for about 4 months (1st sw fish) & it seems to get along well w all the other critters.

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com