Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive had my tank for a while now and when I first started I decided I would buy a Damsel...Stupid decision I just wanted to warn all who are new to this never to buy a blue damsel they are the most annoying destructive fish if I could kill mine I would....He covers my coral up with sand at night and kills it! It is so annoying.
He moves rocks around in the tank its not worth the $6 for the pain it will cause you. My next tank will have no damsels.

Is it a yellow tail blue damsel ?

If so i got one about 3-4 months ago to start my cycle .... So far nothing happened thank god

Maybe its when they get bigger that problems start

Oh I hate them as well. I still have one that was in my aggressive tank for 2 years he was the first saltwater fish I ever bought. but since the break down he's been in qt with my other aggressive fish but he might find his was back to the lfs

Is it a yellow tail blue damsel ?

If so i got one about 3-4 months ago to start my cycle .... So far nothing happened thank god

Maybe its when they get bigger that problems start

Mine went almost a year untill it started to pick on everyfish in the tank except the maroon clown. Good luck.

Mine went almost a year untill it started to pick on everyfish in the tank except the maroon clown. Good luck.

Mine also went abt 9 mo before he started too they seem fine when they are young but when they get older look out

Mine also went abt 9 mo before he started too they seem fine when they are young but when they get older look out

Yep its nuts I don understand how such a little fish can do so much damage. And when her was young he look looked really cool now he just looks straight up mean

I learned this lesson years ago and ive never bought a damsel since. Last one i had was a blue damsel, had him for 3 months then suddenly he went crazy killing anything like someone just flipped a switch in his head. They are wired this way

And when they do turn good luck getting them outta the tank without tearing your rock work down. They are smart and paranoid, catching them is near impossible.

Damsels do not play well with others. But I am thinking about doing a fish-only damsel tank, because there are some beautiful damsels out there. Just keep them the hell away from my reef. ;)

I had to pull all my rock out to catch mine. He was a yellow-tail blue damsel. We called him the demon damsel. He killed 6 shrimp, 2 other damsels, and a goby.

Are there any warning signs before they go psycho? I've had mine for about 4 months (1st sw fish) & it seems to get along well w all the other critters.

So whats best way to take damsel out of the tank without tearing apart all the rocks ? Mine is super chill and doesnt cause trouble yet but reading this got me scared now ??

So whats best way to take damsel out of the tank without tearing apart all the rocks ? Mine is super chill and doesnt cause trouble yet but reading this got me scared now ??

Make a fish trap or buy one

Make a fish trap or buy one

I have never had success trapping a damsel. And boy have i tried. Usually any damsel bolts as soon as you approach the tank, especially once he knows your after him. Ive never had em even go near a trap.

In every instance ive needed 2 nets an plenty of room in the tank to corner him, this usually means removing most rock.

If you can trap him, awesome but my guess is youll waste your time trying.

Use two nets and possibly a third if u ave an extra set of hands. Chase him out of the rock work and have that back up net ready.

I've have had mine pin himself in the rock work so deep that I had to remove the rock and shake it in the water to get him to come out if your tank is still young and not full of corals it would be much quicker and much more easy to remove enough rock to be able to chase him in a corner.also I never use nets to get my fish out. I feel it hurts them putting them in a net It can remove there slim coat and subject to fish to more diseases

Back
Top Bottom