Damsel is eating my coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of pipe organ frags, one with green polyps, one with white.
The green one has been in the tank for probably 6 months, the white one a couple of weeks.
A few days ago I noticed that some of the "tentacles" on some polyps were shorter or missing. Each day it was worse and I was looking for some nudibranch or other critter that may be munching on them. Also started keeping an eye on my Eibli angel thinking would be the most likely culprit if not a little critter.

So this morning I'm sitting here checking out the tank and along comes my Fiji damsel and just rips a mouthful of polyp off and spits them out!!!!!:eek:

Well I found my culprit!
I wonder if it is because I moved things around and now the frag sits in front of a "cave" that the damsel seems to have claimed.

But dang, he gave a buzz cut to about 14 of them.....luckily he didn't tear into the meat of the polyp, just the fringe, so it will grow back.

Anyone else ever see a damsel do something like that?

I`ve never had that happen. But not to say it cant happen. Maybe you can give him to someone with a FOWLR tank.

Well I'm not gonna get rid of the damsel. It was the first fish I got when I decided to venture back into salt water. He has been through it all and is a pretty tough little guy.
It would be like giving up one of my kids.

I rearranged some stuff and will see if that helps. He had never nipped at any corals before and only started going at this one when it was in front of "his" cave.
I know my Midas Blenny goes into complete fits if I put anything in from of the barnacle he has claimed as home. Watched work for a few hours to dig out and move a rock that was too close.....LOL

so we will wait and see.

need to get some new pics up.

Well the damsel is pretty much ignoring the coral as he did before. I think it was just the fact that the coral was dead center in front of the cave he hangs out in and blocked his view....LOL

I have a black domino I can't stand he is around 6 inch in diameter and he is just a big jerk , he rips out more coral he just makes me nutz

Back
Top Bottom