Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
Damsel question

I have 2 damsels one blue devil and one solid yellow one(not sure the name). My question is are all damsels mean by nature. The Blue one has such a cool personality while the yellow one is alittle more intense. I actually wanna get rid of the yellow one and get a clown but I keep hearing that damsels are horrable fish. Will the blue one harass the clown? the yellow damsel harrasses the blue one constantly. He has to go but will the blue one need to go to be able to get a clown. BTW this is a nano 10 g. tank

Old 03-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Making the statement that all damsels are mean by nature is like saying all snakes will bite if you try to touch them. It really depends on the personality of the animal. For the most part, I have found, Domino Dams and the ones that are blue with yellow tails are always mean.

Then again, I have a school of Dams that are never mean, they are the most peaceful fish in my tank...

Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

10 gallon is pretty small for a clown and a damsel. Even a fairly even tempered damsel might have a territory problem in a 10gallon. Even the clown might if you put them together. Once the clown decides what to make her home she/he will defend it.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My yellow tail blue damsel is a sweet fish. He eats on the nori clip with my tang, and swims around with my perculas. He was the first fish in the tank, so no problems with territory - I have lots of hiding places for everyone. So, not all damsels are mean.

I do agree that a 10 gallon with a damsel and clown might be too much bioload. Close quarters aren't suggested for either of these fish.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Actually liveaquaria says you can keep a couple percs in a 10 gallon.

You would probably be better off with two percs instead of one clown and 1 damsel.

I had a blue damsel that almost killed a small trigger. It was mean.

I thought the blue ones with yellow tails were supposed to be some of the more peaceful damsels?!

go to liveaquria and check out their nano section. Help give you some ideas on what kind of fish to keep in the 10.

I think I may put 1 perc and 1 firefish goby in mine.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Many damsels are mean, but some are fine. My Damsel is the perfect gentleman, even hangs around with my clowns with no issues. I think where people many times run into trouble is that they introduce the damsels first while they cycle the tank. After this period in the tank the damsels have established the tank as their territory and any newcomers are gonna get blasted.
I introduced my damsel last and he gets along with everyone fine. I'm glad too, he is one pretty fish (see gallery).
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[quote="AR15 guy"]I thought the blue ones with yellow tails were supposed to be some of the more peaceful damsels?! [quote]

I think they are like humans, if you are not happy you can be very mean!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I am always mean. So maybe some of them are always ***holes like me

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Fiji Devil damsel(blue with yellow top and bottom) that right now is the meanest fish in my 90gal. He keeps a maroon clown in the corner and is always sparring with my coral beauty. The damsel was the last fish put in the tank. I will have to get him out of the tank but he sure is nice looking.

Stephen
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a yellow tail damsel and a larger 3-inch Domino that get along fine with their mates. What's funny is, my green wrasse is agressive towards my Clown, but the Domino protects the Clown. And my Tang pretty much keeps EVERYONE in check.

1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com