Damsel under house arrest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelli

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought another Engineer Goby today. He's a juvi. I put him in the gen pop with the other fish and the mature yellow damsel started roughing him up a bit. Kinda beatin on the new kid on the block. I got ill and threw a breeder net in the tank and threw the damsel in the breeder to seperate the two fish until the goby finds a nice rock to hide under. Anyone else out there have this to happen to them or think that seperation during the first couple of hours makes a difference? I looked it up before we bought him and they are supposed to be completely compatible.

No QT for you? Scary idea. If he's sick, that's a recipe for disaster in the main tank. An idea though about introducing the 2 is to put the new guy in a clear plastic container with holes in it and place it into the tank. That will give all fish time to adjust to a new fella and vice versa.

i had this issue with my damsel and diamond watchman goby. I tried caging the damsel for 2 days and as soon as i let him out he went right at the goby... so i ended up taking the damsel back and got a royal gramma. I still kinda miss the damsel though, but he was a jerk.

The damsels have always been jerks in my tank. My bf says that he thinks the damsel is not bothering the goby, but I wouldn't want someone hanging so close to me.. So i assume the goby feels the same. I let the damsel free before I went to bed and the goby seems to be fine.. But I didn't want to take any chances.. damsels are cheap and gobies are not..

Yea and gobies can actually serve a purpose in the tank sometimes (mine sifts the sand) whereas damsel's just swim around and pick on other fish. When I had my damsel and goby in the same tank the goby would just hide pretty much all day under the rocks, but now that the damsel is gone hes very active in the tank. Its a shame that damsels are so territorial because they can be pretty fish.

Back
Top Bottom