Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Damsels aggressive?

Saw a video on youtube of a reef tank with a yellow goby, 2 clowns, 2 firefish, and a blue damsel with a yellow tail. I thought damsels were aggressive?! They got along in the video.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
in the end it's up to the fish but the odds are they are territorial and aggressive.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

My damsels ruled the tank and bothered the clowns, guess I wasn't lucky.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBarbs View Post
Saw a video on youtube of a reef tank with a yellow goby, 2 clowns, 2 firefish, and a blue damsel with a yellow tail. I thought damsels were aggressive?! They got along in the video.
Sometimes you can get lucky - it also depends on how big the tank was and in what order the fish were added. Sometimes if you add an aggressive fish like a damsel last they'll behave themselves a bit better.

I only had a damsel once and I was thankfully able to get him out, because he terrorized everything in the tank, including fish 3 or 4 times his size (he was a little guy and he HOUSED a hippo tang I was keeping briefly)
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've only managed to keep one damsel to adult size, the others have all turned very territorial as they have matured. I'd personally not take the risk as removal of any fish is far too stressful for my liking.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok thanks for all the answers
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mine went insane after a year. I ended up having to remove all coral and live rock from my tank to get him out. He would stress fish out until they died. I would never recomend one to anyone who wants a peaceful community tank.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like I said in another post I had a 5 dollar damsel in my old 100g FOWLR I used to have and it chased around my 60 dollar butterfly till it croaked. I say if your going to do a damsel use it for cycling your tank then remove it and add it as the last fish to the tank so that it's at the bottom of the pecking order
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

KNOCK ON WOOD, I've got a pair of blue with yellow tail damsels as well as 2 pair of true perc clowns and a huma huma and they all get a long. The clowns keep the damsels in line and the huma runs the clowns. All seems well.... so far.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Damselfish can be aggressive as they are very territorial. It is their nature...Given ample room to claim their territory combined with the order in which they are added to your tank and livestock in your tank prior to and after adding damsels, are pertinent variables that need be addressed in order to have success with these often pretty and interesting reef fish.
Having said this, damsels in the Chrysiptera and Pomacentrus family boast the best chance of displaying reduced aggression. The Azure, Yellowtail and Neon damsel, Princess and Starcki for example, represent some of the more beautiful and docile species. Stay away from the Domino, Three and Four Stripes, Beau Gregory, Fiji Blue Devil and Blue Velvet Damsels.
Personality of each individual also plays a part in where the particular fish falls in the spectrum of aggression. Unfortunately, you can't tell that prior to purchasing your damsel or any other livestock.

Tags
aggressive, damsel, damsels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com