Dangers of corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, the paly toxin stuff again? It comes around at least once a year when someone either has no clue what they are doing or thinks too highly of their abilities. A good rule of thumb is to never, ever boil rock regarding saltwater. You have no clue if there were ever zoas or palys on that rock to put you and your family in danger. These polyps have a wide range of toxin, from mildly irritating to full blown hospitalization issues. Allergies also play a part in this as well, similar to being stuck by a bristleworm...it is like a bee sting.
I've rubbed my eyes while working in my tank before after coming in contact with my palys. Wasn't pleasant and they were red, but nothing terrible...I went to work just 30 minutes afterwards. But, as stated, goes back to the toxin levels in the individual type of polyps you have.
The real key with stories like this is to make sure you aren't concentrating the toxin and making it airborne by boiling rock. That is deadly stuff.

A good rule of thumb is always wear goggles or glasses along with gloves when working with coral ,
and be sure to wash with a good anti bacterial soap afterwards ,
and I agree with hank don't boil rock toxins can emit into the air causing respiratory issues

Perhaps a better question is whether or not taking coral out of the tank to scrub them with a scrub brush is common practice. My wife saw articles like this and as a result won't let me keep zoas.

Back
Top Bottom