Dangers of overfiltering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBFett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Are there any dangers to overfiltering a tank? I plan on setting up a ten gallon saltwater tank with a five gallon refugium (largely for water stability) and would like to filter it with a Penguin 170. I have a Penguin 330 for another tank and I could use the same cartridges, plus I could swap bio-wheels to speed up new tank syndrome. I'd like to save a little money by getting ordinary sand and either base rock or make my own live rock with a little of the real thing to seed the system. I know overfiltering is not generally a bad thing but I've never set up a saltwater this small.

I don't think its really possible to overfilter. The bacteria levels will average around the amount of food they have available, regerdless of the numbers/amount of filtration you can run.

Why not run DSB/refugium filtration? Save a lot of money, maintenance time, and is a lot more natural.

Probably because trying to setup a DSB in a 10g or 5g fuge is difficult and not very productive. You lose a ton of real estate, which ultimately comes at the sacrifice of water volume.

Back
Top Bottom