Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #1061
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it will help some a lot of people run bags of media just laying in their sump but obviously the better and more controlled the flow through it the better/more effective. I keep mine in a BRS reactor which I must admit is one of my favorite pieces of equipment since you have so many options with it. I actually ended up hooking my sterilizer up 2 days ago to the end of my reactor so no extra pump needed yay haha

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #1062
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Yes it will help some a lot of people run bags of media just laying in their sump but obviously the better and more controlled the flow through it the better/more effective. I keep mine in a BRS reactor which I must admit is one of my favorite pieces of equipment since you have so many options with it. I actually ended up hooking my sterilizer up 2 days ago to the end of my reactor so no extra pump needed yay haha
I was thinking of doing the BRS GFO/carbon reactor but I don't know if I'll have room under my tank for it lol might just toss the chemipure you got me into the skimmer chamber eventually

Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #1063
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good thing about their reactors is they don't need room in your sump. You can mount it to the side of your stand inside or outside. You just need room for the pump.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #1064
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Good thing about their reactors is they don't need room in your sump. You can mount it to the side of your stand inside or outside. You just need room for the pump.
Exactly lol id have to figure that out. Everything is so tightly packed with my tank. Lol
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #1065
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

Exactly lol id have to figure that out. Everything is so tightly packed with my tank. Lol
My reactor runs is plumbed into return pump obviously with control valve
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #1066
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well just got in from work. All of my fish r dead. Had to remove a few rocks to find them but I got em out. Not really understanding why they all died(6).

pH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm

R chromis really just that sensitive and die so easily? Just wasted $36 :/
Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1067
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chromis are one of the hardier fish... Idk why they all died but that's really sad
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #1068
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I thought only three would be the way to go. Just to make sure, don't use any aerosol air fresheners or plug ins in the tank room. The skimmer can pull that stuff in. I'm sure it's something else but I thought I'd mention it.

In these cases I always pop a Chemi-Pad in the tank. What it removes I couldn't say but it's like a silver bullet for unknown "bad stuff". Maybe try a single hardy fish in the sump. Like a yellow tail damsel. They're very sturdy and you could remove it to take it back after you ensure the tank is ok. I'm sure I'll get a LOT of flack for suggesting that but it's honestly what I would do. It'll tell you two things: 1st is the tank safe for "hardy" fish, and 2nd it will rule out a bad batch of green chromis.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #1069
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
That's why I thought only three would be the way to go. Just to make sure, don't use any aerosol air fresheners or plug ins in the tank room. The skimmer can pull that stuff in. I'm sure it's something else but I thought I'd mention it.

In these cases I always pop a Chemi-Pad in the tank. What it removes I couldn't say but it's like a silver bullet for unknown "bad stuff". Maybe try a single hardy fish in the sump. Like a yellow tail damsel. They're very sturdy and you could remove it to take it back after you ensure the tank is ok. I'm sure I'll get a LOT of flack for suggesting that but it's honestly what I would do. It'll tell you two things: 1st is the tank safe for "hardy" fish, and 2nd it will rule out a bad batch of green chromis.
Good point. A damsel in the sump wouldn't be a bad idea. Because my nitrates aren't terrible, and I'm getting ready to do another water change in a couple hours.

I think what I'm going to do is just wait til I get my nitrates to 0 then go slowly from there, plus I ran into unexpected financial problems anyways :/

Oh and I did just add 2 blue legged hermits and 2 red legged hermits in the sump so I guess we'll see if theyll survive
Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #1070
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

Good point. A damsel in the sump wouldn't be a bad idea. Because my nitrates aren't terrible, and I'm getting ready to do another water change in a couple hours.

I think what I'm going to do is just wait til I get my nitrates to 0 then go slowly from there, plus I ran into unexpected financial problems anyways :/

Oh and I did just add 2 blue legged hermits and 2 red legged hermits in the sump so I guess we'll see if theyll survive
36$? Wow chromis are 3-5$ each around here depends which store sorry bout your losing them ive lost 4 in last month no idea why all other fish doin just fine strange

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com