Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #1071
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khij159753 View Post
Chromis are one of the hardier fish... Idk why they all died but that's really sad
I have to disagree with the hardiness of chromis. Like many others have said, I have had the same experience as the op with chromis. Started with 5 and they pick on the smallest one until he dies then they move on to the next smallest. My lfs has said the same thing. They have trouble with them too.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1072
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher

I have to disagree with the hardiness of chromis. Like many others have said, I have had the same experience as the op with chromis. Started with 5 and they pick on the smallest one until he dies then they move on to the next smallest. My lfs has said the same thing. They have trouble with them too.
They used to be a little hardier. I'd almost never see a dead one back when I ran a shop (about 10 years ago). I wonder if it's the source, capture method, the distributers or something else. It's sad to see how few are making it these days. They're beautiful.

Well, at least it may be something other than Dan's tank. I "really" believe a different species is the way to go after reading your post bioteacher. I'd still try something cheap and resilient like a damsel, just to rule out the tank. Some chromis must be surviving at the shop. Maybe trying a LPS that guarantees their fish for a few days would be prudent. Just a thought.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #1073
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unfortunately I have never seen a retail store that guarentees saltwater..

http://www.facebook.com/KenzersCorals
classklown90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #1074
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah atleast not around our way Kyle.

I just did another 10G WC. I'm gonna try n get my nitrates down some more and maybe tomorrow or Thursday I'll get a damsel for the sump.

I haven't tested for anything else bc I figure I don't have to with no corals in there yet and those other levels won't kill the fish.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #1075
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher View Post

I can say that I've seen the same thing. They always seem to kill each other off until one is left. That said, it does seem odd that you weren't left with one. Personally, I'll never try a school of them.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #1076
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post

I can say that I've seen the same thing. They always seem to kill each other off until one is left. That said, it does seem odd that you weren't left with one. Personally, I'll never try a school of them.
Which leads me to believe its not the fish that r killing each other, something else probably. Oh well.

No more fish until all levels are 0ppm.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #1077
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well on a brighter note, my light was delivered today! can't wait to get home and set it up and have HALF a tank lit up lmao.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #1078
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

Which leads me to believe its not the fish that r killing each other, something else probably. Oh well.

No more fish until all levels are 0ppm.
You are continuing to feed the tank right? You need to provide a nitrogen source or you bacteria colonies will die. I don't think you will ever get Trates to 0. They are the end product of the cycle so as long as the bacteria are doing there thing you will always have low levels of Trates.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1079
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher View Post

You are continuing to feed the tank right? You need to provide a nitrogen source or you bacteria colonies will die. I don't think you will ever get Trates to 0. They are the end product of the cycle so as long as the bacteria are doing there thing you will always have low levels of Trates.
Well my fuge is filled with live sand/bacteria and I put a few hermits in there, that's not enough? If not then I'll go out n get a damsel tonight
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #1080
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher

Not necessarily true. All the tanks I've had always had zero nitrates even when I went a few months without water changes. My brother hasn't seen nitrates either. It's very possible but a reasonable fish load is important. Lots of live rock and plants play a big role.

But you're right. He's got to feed the bacteria.

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com