Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #1101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
It can but not usually.

How about putting the light in the center of the tank until both lights are in?! You could use the chains from each hook in the ceiling and two chains to center it.
Lol not a bad idea. But wouldn't the center brace create a dark "bar" in the tank? I have to install the other hook anyways so I guess I can give it a whirl haha

Oh and the reason I ask about the cheato is bc mines almost all brown and not really in "ball" form anymore. Probably just diatoms right?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130103_203812.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	141571  

Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #1103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
Better?
Very nice!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #1104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
Better?
O_O

Awesome light! If they're dimable you may want to lower the whites to get a bluer look for the cycle. You won't need much light until you add a coral and even then you'll want to acclimate them to the new light. Don't want to bleach anything! Most people start at about 20% power for that fixture. Many people only run them at like 60% maximum unless they have a deep tank or lots of SPSs that shade lower corals.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #1105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

O_O

Awesome light! If they're dimable you may want to lower the whites to get a bluer look for the cycle. You won't need much light until you add a coral and even then you'll want to acclimate them to the new light. Don't want to bleach anything! Most people start at about 20% power for that fixture. Many people only run them at like 60% maximum unless they have a deep tank or lots of SPSs that shade lower corals.
Yeah I just turned the light up all the way for the picture I'm gonna leave the lights off for the most part until I put something in there

I have the damsel in the sump right now so we'll see if it survives over the next few days
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #1106
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you run mostly blues you may be able to get a little coralline to grow. You could run like 20% blue and 10% white until you start acclimating corals. If you have a piece of coralline covered rock in your other tank you can seed the new one by turning off the main pump and scraping off some coralline over the new rock with a knife. Where the bits and dust settle it can sometimes take off. After about 30 minutes you can kick the pump back on. I've gotten a lot of my tanks started like that. No reason not to get it started. It prefers lower light anyway.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #1107
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope the damsel does well! The light looks awesome. Thank you for the pictures. I wish I could answer your questions about the chaetomorph. I have no idea though. Damsel pic maybe?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post
I hope the damsel does well! The light looks awesome. Thank you for the pictures. I wish I could answer your questions about the chaetomorph. I have no idea though. Damsel pic maybe?
Here's the best pic I could get of him
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130104_075845.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	141657  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1109
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If you run mostly blues you may be able to get a little coralline to grow. You could run like 20% blue and 10% white until you start acclimating corals. If you have a piece of coralline covered rock in your other tank you can seed the new one by turning off the main pump and scraping off some coralline over the new rock with a knife. Where the bits and dust settle it can sometimes take off. After about 30 minutes you can kick the pump back on. I've gotten a lot of my tanks started like that. No reason not to get it started. It prefers lower light anyway.
Not a bad idea with the scraping. I have my lights on right now but very low. As far as scraping tho, I don't think I have a good enough rock to scrape off just yet lol but I'll see when I get home
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1110
Aquarium Advice Freak

The chaeto does look pretty brown in that pic. I usually have little bits that turn brown and die but never the whole ball.

Sorry if I missed this earlier cause I just joined in, but what type of light is in your fuge?

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com