DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
I thought it was the overflow that was dirty? What I've done in the past is put a bucket under the overflow pipe, spray off the grime with a mix of bleach and water, wipe it all down, then give it a rinse. The water falls into the bucket and all is good. Bleach is not harmful to use when cleaning out a tank as long as you rinse it and let it dry out for a couple of days. The chlorine will be all gone. I understand you can't do the whole tank outside but you could wipe it down with paper towels after spraying it with bleach.

People have been doing exactly this for decades. Nothing harmful about it. Ask around.

Well yeah I suppose that makes sense now haha.. didn't think about the whole overflow and using the holes at the bottom haha good thinking, thank you :) guess I'll be buying some bleach tomorrow... any specific kind? Can I get Clorox?

DanS180 said:
Well yeah I suppose that makes sense now haha.. didn't think about the whole overflow and using the holes at the bottom haha good thinking, thank you :) guess I'll be buying some bleach tomorrow... any specific kind? Can I get Clorox?

You can. Just make it's plan bleach. Never get the scented, color safe or no splash kinds. Plain simple bleach is perfect. Let us know how it turns out. :)

You can. Just make it's plan bleach. Never get the scented, color safe or no splash kinds. Plain simple bleach is perfect. Let us know how it turns out. :)

awesome. ill be going out tomorrow morning to get the bleach, think ill soak it all early on, then come back later and scrub it down, rinse it out, yada yada yada lol

Now im tryna figure out what size bulkheads i need and what type (slip x slip, thread x thread, thread x slip? no idea what this means lol

okay, went to the store this morning, bought 4 cans of Flat black spray paint, Clorox bleach, then went and got 2 new bulkheads for the back of the tank. Back at home, took both bulkheads out of the overflow(gonna have to replace them & the tubing as well) cleaned everything down with bleach, cant get it 100% but oh well, looks 100000000000x better than before :)

Question tho, if i clean the actually tank with bleach, can i just clean it/dry it up as best as possible and let it air out??? its going to be awhile before i start adding water probably.

Yes the chemicals will evaporate in roughly 24 hours but a good clean wipe down is always something I do afterwards just to be safe.

Edit* RO water works best, doesn't streak and absorbs all the bad stuff very well since its so low on TDS

What if u rinsed with water several times and siphoned out with hoses like if u were doing a pwc between each water add...then dried with towels on the last to make sure all bleach is extracted

Yes the chemicals will evaporate in roughly 24 hours but a good clean wipe down is always something I do afterwards just to be safe.

Edit* RO water works best, doesn't streak and absorbs all the bad stuff very well since its so low on TDS

okay cool, bc theres definitely a few spots i wanna hit with bleach on the inside of the tank, but for the most part, this thing came out really good :) only concern is the actually overflow... how it has that extra slot running along the side where u cant get your hand into, yeah theres a bunch of crap in there lol should be okay tho for when i cycle the tank :)

What if u rinsed with water several times and siphoned out with hoses like if u were doing a pwc between each water add...then dried with towels on the last to make sure all bleach is extracted

well i would do it that way, bc i have all the bulkheads taken out of the tank so i cant exactly fill it to rinse, and theres too little of water in the tank to actually siphon, so i just gotta use towels and absorb it up;

DanS180 said:
okay cool, bc theres definitely a few spots i wanna hit with bleach on the inside of the tank, but for the most part, this thing came out really good :) only concern is the actually overflow... how it has that extra slot running along the side where u cant get your hand into, yeah theres a bunch of crap in there lol should be okay tho for when i cycle the tank :)

Do you have a shop vac with an extension to reach down the overflow? Even could just use a small pvc that'll fit down if the vac won't and duct tape the pvc to the end of the vac.

Do you have a shop vac with an extension to reach down the overflow? Even could just use a small pvc that'll fit down if the vac won't and duct tape the pvc to the end of the vac.

well no i can reach down the overflow with no problem all the way to the bottom, i just cant reach down the section that seperates the overflow from the actually tank.

See the outside lip of the overflow box? Well right on the inside there's another wall that I can't get anything down into.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121105_140008.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_140008.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 61
Here's a little preview of what the stand will look like :) I love it already

Obviously needs another coat, it was just a sample lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121105_140309.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121105_140309.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
DanS180 said:
See the outside lip of the overflow box? Well right on the inside there's another wall that I can't get anything down into.

A broom handle (or similar) wrapped in a rag with rubber bands to hold it is one option. For very narrow areas a bent clothes hanger (rounded corner) with paper towels banded to it may work. I've even used a rubber hose with paper towels or cloth wrapped around it to wipe up hard to get at places. Necessity is the mother of invention.

A broom handle (or similar) wrapped in a rag with rubber bands to hold it is one option. For very narrow areas a bent clothes hanger (rounded corner) with paper towels banded to it may work. I've even used a rubber hose with paper towels or cloth wrapped around it to wipe up hard to get at places. Necessity is the mother of invention.

lol ill give it a try, probably have to use a clothes hanger tho bc i have just enough room to put a sharpie down there lol.. like i said tho, if i cant, its not biggie, im not worried about it too much

Okay heres my plan for my sump, i stole the idea off one of the sticky notes on this forum. the other picture is my tank to have a better understanding, i thought i understood how i was gonna plumb this thing but now im not so sure

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DIY Sump Idea.jpg
    DIY Sump Idea.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom