Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #1291
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much eats cyano and diatoms unfortunately. I would say after it all starts to go away would be a decent time to start getting your cuc. Just remember you need to have enough growth in your tank to support those numbers.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #1292
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Not much eats cyano and diatoms unfortunately. I would say after it all starts to go away would be a decent time to start getting your cuc. Just remember you need to have enough growth in your tank to support those numbers.
Well i know brown algae will go away eventually.. its already starting to. Will Cyano go away on its own?? or do i have to siphon it all out?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1293
Aquarium Advice Activist

You may want to consider a fighting conch as part of your CUC. It really did a great job on my diatoms.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1294
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson417 View Post
You may want to consider a fighting conch as part of your CUC. It really did a great job on my diatoms.
Ahh forgot about the fighting conch. I have one in my 29g tank
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #1295
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I've been reading other threads about cyano and whatnot bc my tank has just gotten really bad with it. Do u guys think I should try the chemiclean or red slime remover stuff?? It would probably take draining the whole tank just to get it all out by siphoning and I don't wanna do that obviously. Tell me what u guys think?

Oh and do u think buying a GFO+carbon reactor would benefit me?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #1296
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If it is so bad that you could drain the tank by siphoning it out with airline tubing then I would dose red slime remover and do a water change. The Gfo and carbon would benefit your tank, mostly the Gfo to remove phosphates which might be what is feeding this issue. Either way this is still a nutrient problem, either from the water coming in or it is being put in by over feeding. I just started an algae battle from me feeding too much again, using Julian's Thing instead of broadcast feeding has helped along with cutting back from daily feedings again.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #1297
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If it is so bad that you could drain the tank by siphoning it out with airline tubing then I would dose red slime remover and do a water change. The Gfo and carbon would benefit your tank, mostly the Gfo to remove phosphates which might be what is feeding this issue. Either way this is still a nutrient problem, either from the water coming in or it is being put in by over feeding. I just started an algae battle from me feeding too much again, using Julian's Thing instead of broadcast feeding has helped along with cutting back from daily feedings again.
Well I only feed once every 2-3 days. And I only feed about 1/4 cube of frozen food. So Its not overfeeding. The water I'm using is from my RO/Di unit. 0 TDS.

After my cycle I was doing water changes religiously to get my trates down. So I can't see it being an issue with water especially bc my 29g tank is doing fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1298
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If the 29 is ok, then there is something different between the the tanks in terms of nurtient import as that proves that the water is fine, as does the 0 tds reading. You aren't feeding corals?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #1299
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If the 29 is ok, then there is something different between the the tanks in terms of nurtient import as that proves that the water is fine, as does the 0 tds reading. You aren't feeding corals?
Nope, only have a few corals in the 90 as of now. I still need to get another powerhead but I can't see that fixing the problem 100%. I think for the time being im gonna point my 1 PH toward the rocks and see what happens
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #1300
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You'd be amazed at what flow will.do.tiff algae buildup dan, I'm not saying it'll solve it entirely but another powerhead or two will help alot and your coral I'm sure will appreciate it

http://www.facebook.com/KenzersCorals
classklown90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com