Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #1351
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
You know back in the day we used to always start off a reef with low lighting and let the coralline get a foothold and the biofilm build up for a few months before installing strong lights. This helped the aquarium stabilize and gave people time to get to know the ins and outs of the tank before dropping real scratch on show corals. Hearing you say that you're going to wait to upgrade the lights later on just reminded me of that so I thought I'd share. I don't have a clue if there's any real value or need to take things that slowly but it sure didn't hurt. If anything, it gave our wallets time to breathe between big purchases! >_<'
__________________

__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1352
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
You know back in the day we used to always start off a reef with low lighting and let the coralline get a foothold and the biofilm build up for a few months before installing strong lights. This helped the aquarium stabilize and gave people time to get to know the ins and outs of the tank before dropping real scratch on show corals. Hearing you say that you're going to wait to upgrade the lights later on just reminded me of that so I thought I'd share. I don't have a clue if there's any real value or need to take things that slowly but it sure didn't hurt. If anything, it gave our wallets time to breathe between big purchases! >_<'
Haha well not necessarily upgrading the lights, just buying another one lol but I hear ya. I'm gonna just get by with one light for now and get another down the line. No biggie
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #1353
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Oh yeah, I knew what you meant. Just don't be surprised if you get slightly better coralline growth with only one light than with two. It's like natures way of rewarding patience or something. lol Honestly, you're really making me want to get another reef tank! I don't think I could survive a whole year without one. *Hum... maybe with my tax returns...*
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1354
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Oh yeah, I knew what you meant. Just don't be surprised if you get slightly better coralline growth with only one light than with two. It's like natures way of rewarding patience or something. lol Honestly, you're really making me want to get another reef tank! I don't think I could survive a whole year without one. *Hum... maybe with my tax returns...*
Haha if u have the space and money go for it!!
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1355
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
On another note, my LFS is getting yellow head jawfish in tomorrow so I'll probably pick one up on weds or Thursday
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1356
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
On another note, my LFS is getting yellow head jawfish in tomorrow so I'll probably pick one up on weds or Thursday
Nice. Sometimes the lfs inadvertently makes the stocking choice for us.
__________________
SeanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #1357
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

Nice. Sometimes the lfs inadvertently makes the stocking choice for us.
Yeah I know right! I asked if I could have one special requested and he was just like oh were getting some in tomorrow. Score!
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #1358
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Riverhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 211
I have a baby pearly jaw..apptly named...wait for it...Jaws!! i love this little fart, hes a trip!!!
__________________
Riverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #1359
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Spicemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 304
That'a a definite on my bucket list too
__________________
54g corner
10g sump
Coralife 65g protein skimmer
LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #1360
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverhawk View Post
I have a baby pearly jaw..apptly named...wait for it...Jaws!! i love this little fart, hes a trip!!!
Aww haha I can't wait to get mine, probably Thursday or Friday hopefully
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.