Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #1381
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Oh yes, they will. I had a small maxima that I was trying to keep several months ago. I put him in a spot that he should have loved. I'd come back from work and he would have himself halfway across the tank on his side. Either pushing the water out of themselves, as they are a bi-valve, or by using their foot they can motor along. My current derasa clam, which is massive and as big as my hand, will move some as well. I take him out of the tank every day to check for pyramid snails, as I have them on my snails. I wake up or come back from work and it always moves itself so it is in the flow of the tank just so he likes it. Just be careful that it doesn't knock itself over and can't get back up like my maxima did.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #1382
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know of several friends who put their's in a plastic container yo keep it in place. pet stores fo this also I believe

LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #1383
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow okay, didn't know they moved lol I have mine in a well lit area with moderate flow. It hasnt move much at all, just enough for me to notice lol
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #1384
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, all I know is that I don't want tupperware in my reef. They won't move around too much so it shouldn't be a problem.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1385
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Yeah, all I know is that I don't want tupperware in my reef. They won't move around too much so it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah I don't think I do either! Haha guess we'll see how it pans out
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1386
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
So I just realized I haven't tested the 90 in awhile lol luckily I did a pwc not too long ago. Numbers seem to be pretty steady tho.
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.024
Ammo 0ppm
Trite 0ppm
TrAte 5ppm
Mag 1380ppm
Calc 420ppm
kH
Phos 0ppm

Obviously the more coral I add the more my numbers will deplete(mag/calc/kh) but my question is, when adding a lot of coral, how quickly do the numbers deplete?

I understand there's a difference in a SPS dominant tank and a softie tank, but just an idea maybe? What's everyone else's numbers look like?
Dan, I agree with those who said all tanks will vary. I will tell you, as a frame of reference, that I have about 45 pieces of coral (about 1/4 of them are sps) and I add some B-Ionics every 2-3 days to keep calcium and alkalinity up.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1387
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

Dan, I agree with those who said all tanks will vary. I will tell you, as a frame of reference, that I have about 45 pieces of coral (about 1/4 of them are sps) and I add some B-Ionics every 2-3 days to keep calcium and alkalinity up.
Alright cool that's what I figured, thanks Sean!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #1388
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the clam hasn't moved anymore. Maybe my giant sand sifting snail bumped it or something. Who knows.

My jawfish is settling in pretty good. Has made a nice big burrow right by my Kenya tree and Green hammer lol I'll try n get some pics in a few.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #1389
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well, the clam hasn't moved anymore. Maybe my giant sand sifting snail bumped it or something. Who knows.

My jawfish is settling in pretty good. Has made a nice big burrow right by my Kenya tree and Green hammer lol I'll try n get some pics in a few.
My clam stayed put once it found its spot. Kind of like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #1390
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I love my yellow headed jawfish. She's so much fun to watch. She has a good sized burrow made, and lives in it with the Firefish. She made a giant crater in the sand next to burrow because she has taken all the sand from there and piled it for her burrow. Mine only has 1 burrow; there were 2 openings, but now only 1. She also steals any shell she can pick up to pile around the opening. Once or twice the snail shells still had snails in them. Haha she does dart into the burrow when we walk near, but after I sit there a little while, she comes out more. Very cool fish!!

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com