Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #1411
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I would do.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1412
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just got home, trumpets are opened and looking good my fruit loops seem to be struggling however. A few green stars have opened but nothing to get crazy over yet lol

How long would u wait to move the monti up top? I wanna put it in next to the overflow in the back but I don't wanna move it too fast and bleach it out. Some of the edges look to be fading already and its just on the sandbed

Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #1413
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Move the monti up a level every week I would say. I've heard even every 2 weeks, but I just don't think that is a good way to avoid bleaching.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #1414
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Move the monti up a level every week I would say. I've heard even every 2 weeks, but I just don't think that is a good way to avoid bleaching.
That's not a good way to avoid bleaching? What is? I can't necessarily move it up a level every week considering the size. With it on the sand bed it's already 1/3 of the way to the top lol
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1415
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sorry, I think moving it up one level every 2 weeks will lead to bleaching from not enough light.
Since it is so big...man, I'll be honest maybe you should just put it where you want it and get it to stay in place and be done with it. Worst that can happen is the quick increase in light stresses the monti and it browns. It would get over it and get the color back.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #1416
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Sorry, I think moving it up one level every 2 weeks will lead to bleaching from not enough light.
Since it is so big...man, I'll be honest maybe you should just put it where you want it and get it to stay in place and be done with it. Worst that can happen is the quick increase in light stresses the monti and it browns. It would get over it and get the color back.
Im just worried about killing it. Too much light won't kill it right? I mean it'd be ashame to have an 11" colony die :/ lol
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #1417
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

True. I'd move it up in a week.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #1418
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay well I'll just monitor the situation, see what happens by next week and just go from there.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1419
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would you he able to fashion a price of window screen to cover the montis position if you moved it up? Each week you could remove a layer of screen until all the screen is gone.

What kind of light was the guy using that you bought it from? If he was using real good light you may just be able to just go ahead and put it where you want it. I imagine it had to be in pretty good light for it to have grown so well.

Now the fruit loops- where are they placed in the tank? If you feel like they should be open more then move them to a new spot and see how they do.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #1420
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post
Would you he able to fashion a price of window screen to cover the montis position if you moved it up? Each week you could remove a layer of screen until all the screen is gone.

What kind of light was the guy using that you bought it from? If he was using real good light you may just be able to just go ahead and put it where you want it. I imagine it had to be in pretty good light for it to have grown so well.

Now the fruit loops- where are they placed in the tank? If you feel like they should be open more then move them to a new spot and see how they do.
It was a 125g tank, one side had metal halide other had 120w leds. My light is a 165w so it is more intense lighting. It seems to be doing okay where it is right, its not bleaching so that's good. I'll wait a few more days and move it up.

I did move the fruit loops to another spot. 1 is fully opened and the other look to be coming along, they're on a piece of rock that's a weird shape so its hard to have them all in direct light lol

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com