Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #1681
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

No more Blue Spot?
No I tried selling him but no one wanted him. I traded him into my LFS for store credit

Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1682
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

No I tried selling him but no one wanted him. I traded him into my LFS for store credit
Bummer. Going to stay with the one tank then?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #1683
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Bummer. Going to stay with the one tank then?
For now until we move into a house(whenever that will be) Lol
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1684
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

For now until we move into a house(whenever that will be) Lol
Nice. At least you have the bigger tank going. Have a good 4th Dan.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #1685
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Nice. At least you have the bigger tank going. Have a good 4th Dan.
Yeah I love my 90 you too Sean!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #1686
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well with the summer months rolling thru, the temp in my tank is jumping up. Its 10:30 at night and my tank is 82…

Any ideas on how to drop it and keep it there? Think I should cut off the heater for the summer or would that cause too much of a swing?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #1687
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well with the summer months rolling thru, the temp in my tank is jumping up. Its 10:30 at night and my tank is 82…

Any ideas on how to drop it and keep it there? Think I should cut off the heater for the summer or would that cause too much of a swing?
My lfs suggested to me last year (when my AC died) to get one of those small fans that you can clip on to a shelf, etc. they said to clip it on to the sump (add tape or whatever since you don't want it coming loose and falling in the sump) and run the fan so air blows over the top of the water in the sump. They warned your evaporation will increase so be cognizant of that. If temperature really starts to take off, they suggested filling milk jugs with water, freezing them, and place one in the sump. Unplugging your heater at this point shouldn't do anything as it shouldn't turn on unless temp falls below set point. They also recommended decreasing light on time (although I think you have LED lights which don't produce much neat). Then there is always the chiller route, which is pricey or a window AC unit.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #1688
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

My lfs suggested to me last year (when my AC died) to get one of those small fans that you can clip on to a shelf, etc. they said to clip it on to the sump (add tape or whatever since you don't want it coming loose and falling in the sump) and run the fan so air blows over the top of the water in the sump. They warned your evaporation will increase so be cognizant of that. If temperature really starts to take off, they suggested filling milk jugs with water, freezing them, and place one in the sump. Unplugging your heater at this point shouldn't do anything as it shouldn't turn on unless temp falls below set point. They also recommended decreasing light on time (although I think you have LED lights which don't produce much neat). Then there is always the chiller route, which is pricey or a window AC unit.
Okay I think I'll go with the fan first. I'm not too worried about it. Tank hasn't gone over 82 yet. Definitely don't wanna buy a chiller Lol thanks Sean!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #1689
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Constant problem at my house. The fan helps, but only so far. If it gets to 100 in your house it won't do jack. My house bakes in the sun all day. And with ancient cathedral ceilings in my farm house, you can't get the living room insulated in the ceiling. Literal 15 degree difference between the living room an the rest of the insulated house. I run the ac in the living room all day. If I don't start at 8-9 am or before I leave for work some days at 5, it gets so hot the ac unit isn't able to catch up.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1690
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Constant problem at my house. The fan helps, but only so far. If it gets to 100 in your house it won't do jack. My house bakes in the sun all day. And with ancient cathedral ceilings in my farm house, you can't get the living room insulated in the ceiling. Literal 15 degree difference between the living room an the rest of the insulated house. I run the ac in the living room all day. If I don't start at 8-9 am or before I leave for work some days at 5, it gets so hot the ac unit isn't able to catch up.
Yikes. Well I do have a window unit in the dining room next to my tank so maybe I'll just turn that on on the hotter days.

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com