DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you taken into consideration your heater size? I didn't causing me to go with a smaller heater then I would have liked.

Mrc8858 said:
Have you taken into consideration your heater size? I didn't causing me to go with a smaller heater then I would have liked.

I was planning on putting the heater in the skimmer section...

I just siliconed the first baffle in and realized something.. there's 26" from the stand floor to underneath the DT. The skimmer is 22". The first baffle is 11" tall.. I can't put the skimmer on a stand.. Ill leave myself with no room to remove the cup

I can prolly put a 3 inch stand MAX

As you said before people run their skimmers at all sorts of levels. It's not gonna be a major issue to have a bit higher then recommended just turn down the pump a bit.

As you said before people run their skimmers at all sorts of levels. It's not gonna be a major issue to have a bit higher then recommended just turn down the pump a bit.

but wont that affect the performance of the skimmer? i heard people reccommend this skimmer at like 7-8"

It will a little bit but if you put it on a couple inches of eggcrate or even an inch it'll be fine. When you get it just put it as high as you can without blocking the cup.

It will a little bit but if you put it on a couple inches of eggcrate or even an inch it'll be fine. When you get it just put it as high as you can without blocking the cup.

lol easy enough, im afraid im not gonna be able to raise it up at all givin i only have 4inches to start with lol

do u think roughly 7" of space is enough for the return chamber?, if it is, then the fuge will be 12-13" big

How high will the water level be in the return chamber?

The higher the better for water volume.. what's the size of your shortest baffle (that the water flows over not under)

The higher the better for water volume.. what's the size of your shortest baffle (that the water flows over not under)

im gonna do the bubble trap the way you said, so it enters the return chamber from the bottom... so if its 2 inches off the bottom of the glass, the return chamber will be around 11" high

So are all your baffles 11"? You said your skimmer (first) baffle was 11". Did you make them slightly smaller as the water travels across the sump?

So are all your baffles 11"? You said your skimmer (first) baffle was 11". Did you make them slightly smaller as the water travels across the sump?

yeah i have 5 pieces of glass cut going from 11in, 10.5in, 10in, 9.5in, and 9in. the last baffle would be 9in tall but if i had it so the water went UNDER the last baffle then it would be at a new height of 11"

I don't think so... How high is the baffle before the last baffle (the one that water travels over the top). This will be your return chamber water level which I think is gonna be 9.5"?

I mean you can run it higher or lower then that but that is where it would want to naturally fill to with gravity... Either way I'm getting off the point I got the rough estimate lol... I think you could add an inch to the fuge and run a 6" return chamber.

I don't think so... How high is the baffle before the last baffle (the one that water travels over the top). This will be your return chamber water level which I think is gonna be 9.5"?

read this, i labeled everything

Attachments

• DIY Sump Idea 2.jpg
    DIY Sump Idea 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 76
Ya I'd go with a 6" return chamber which will give you room to throw another pump in if you decide to hook up a reactor or UV

Ya I'd go with a 6" return chamber which will give you room to throw another pump in if you decide to hook up a reactor or UV

well yeah i plan on doin a GFO reactor also, but ya gotta remember.. the 6" is just the length inside the sump, its still 12in" deep so i can put the 2 pumps side by side :) but yeah alright cool... so a 6" return, now i can start putting more baffles in lol thank you!!!!

No problem would have been much easier if you had all the equipment going in it to dry fit lol

Back
Top Bottom