Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #1751
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Worcester (England)
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

Alk is supposed to be anywhere between 8-12°, I'm keeping mine at 8.5-9 and calcium should be somewhere between 400-500ppm. Mines at 460ppm.
Ok cool, well am I right in saying that if you test the water and the parameters are all ok there is no need to dose? Also I'm guessing if you have loads of corals then there is more need for dosing as they will use more alk and calcium.
__________________

__________________
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1752
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky View Post
Almost everywhere I see online is 30-40 a head. If u don't mind me asking where are you located and do you ship?
I'm in Blackwood NJ.. And no unfortunately I don't ship due to inexperience.
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #1753
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Ok cool, well am I right in saying that if you test the water and the parameters are all ok there is no need to dose? Also I'm guessing if you have loads of corals then there is more need for dosing as they will use more alk and calcium.
You've answered your own question Lol yeah I have a ton of corals in my tank so they use more alk and calc. Usually you can replenish them with a weekly water change but my tank goes a little bit faster than that so Im at the point where I have to dose
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1754
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Worcester (England)
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

You've answered your own question Lol yeah I have a ton of corals in my tank so they use more alk and calc. Usually you can replenish them with a weekly water change but my tank goes a little bit faster than that so Im at the point where I have to dose
Well I have just bought a full JBL marine test kit. It tests everything you can think off! Think I will test the alk-calcium at the weekend then every week along with everything else. I only do a monthly wc of 100L I have been testing regular but not with the new test kit, and everything is fine and running well.
__________________
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1755
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Well I have just bought a full JBL marine test kit. It tests everything you can think off! Think I will test the alk-calcium at the weekend then every week along with everything else. I only do a monthly wc of 100L I have been testing regular but not with the new test kit, and everything is fine and running well.
Nice! I try to do biweekly water changes but its tough with work right now since I'm working 6 days a week :/
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #1756
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Worcester (England)
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

Nice! I try to do biweekly water changes but its tough with work right now since I'm working 6 days a week :/
Yea I can relate to that one lol, it's tuff working 3 days a week and having 4 days of in a row every week lol. Sorry couldn't resist.
__________________
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #1757
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Yea I can relate to that one lol, it's tuff working 3 days a week and having 4 days of in a row every week lol. Sorry couldn't resist.
Lol that's not cool, I wish I was off 4 days in a row!
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #1758
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
I use the B-Ionics two part (Ca and Alk) as well. I keep my Ca between 400 -450 ppm. My Alk I keep between 8.0 to 10.0 ppm.
__________________
SeanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #1759
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Worcester (England)
Posts: 755
Thanks for the feedback regarding dosing I have been trying to test my water now for 3 days but just haven't had time. Tomorrow I WILL test it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Oh just one more question. Is it a liquid that you use to dose or powder?

Thanks in advance
__________________
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #1760
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Thanks for the feedback regarding dosing I have been trying to test my water now for 3 days but just haven't had time. Tomorrow I WILL test it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Oh just one more question. Is it a liquid that you use to dose or powder?

Thanks in advance
That's okay! Lol and its liquid.
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.