Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not a 55 gallon? Bigger is better! Sorry if you said this before, but are you planning on having a refugium? The skimmer and it's pump, the reactor, and is if it's an internal pump will probably need more room.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry meant 45 tall..they are only 36" long opposed to 48.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Sorry meant 45 tall..they are only 36" long opposed to 48.
Yeah but a 45 gallon would only leave me a few inches of clearance to get in and out of it.. and yeah I plan on having a fuge as well even tho I'm not entirely sure what its there for lol
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Yeah but a 45 gallon would only leave me a few inches of clearance to get in and out of it.. and yeah I plan on having a fuge as well even tho I'm not entirely sure what its there for lol
A fuge helps combat algae by growing it in there instead of the DT. It also works as a nutrient export removing phosphates and nitrates naturally. You can take it a step further and use miracle mud in a "dsb" type of setup for an even more complete ecosystem.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

A fuge helps combat algae by growing it in there instead of the DT. It also works as a nutrient export removing phosphates and nitrates naturally. You can take it a step further and use miracle mud in a "dsb" type of setup for an even more complete ecosystem.
Dsb type of setup? ::clueless:: lol
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah...lol I made this mistake before. I got a 12" wide tank to be the sump and forgot to measure the inside part where there were braces. There it was 11.5 inches. So close, but I had to get a carpenter to replace the the braces with smaller ones and in doing so he cut the entire back brace off and have screws to put it on or take it off. That's how I got mine in, but without the 2 problems, I wouldn't be able to get such a large sump. What are the dimensions of the skimmer and the reactor is for carbon?..GFO?..dual reactor w/ both?...You can leave it out of the sump and put it behind the tank if it fits or on the wall in the stand or wherever else.

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Addict

Deep sand bed. It creates a safe haven for anaerobic bacteria which is actually one of the last stages of the nitrogen cycle which few people utilize. That bacteria (which is only found in places void of oxygen hence anaerobic) convert nitrAtes into nitrogen gas which leave your tank through gas exchange. This is one of the reasons why 1lb+ per gallon is reccomended as the rocks will hold some anaerobic bacteria inside of them.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Oh yeah...lol I made this mistake before. I got a 12" wide tank to be the sump and forgot to measure the inside part where there were braces. There it was 11.5 inches. So close, but I had to get a carpenter to replace the the braces with smaller ones and in doing so he cut the entire back brace off and have screws to put it on or take it off. That's how I got mine in, but without the 2 problems, I wouldn't be able to get such a large sump. What are the dimensions of the skimmer and the reactor is for carbon?..GFO?..dual reactor w/ both?...You can leave it out of the sump and put it behind the tank if it fits or on the wall in the stand or wherever else.
Ahh I see.. yeah the reactor is a deluxe GFO & carbon together and yeah I forgot it looks like it can mount on the outside of the tank so that gives me more room
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Deep sand bed. It creates a safe haven for anaerobic bacteria which is actually one of the last stages of the nitrogen cycle which few people utilize. That bacteria (which is only found in places void of oxygen hence anaerobic) convert nitrAtes into nitrogen gas which leave your tank through gas exchange. This is one of the reasons why 1lb+ per gallon is reccomended as the rocks will hold some anaerobic bacteria inside of them.
Ohh okay I somewhat understand that now lol little confusing but I'll catch on soon enough
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #220
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about a 40 breeder tank for the sump? I'm just throwing it out there, I have no idea the dimensions.

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com