Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #221
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually broke down my 30L reef tank a few months ago and gave it to my brother to use the tank as his sump/refugium and the live rock in his reef. A 30L is great because it's not as tall as a 29 so reaching into the sump to service or install pumps, reactors & skimmers is easier. It's also not to long so he still has room to keep stuff on the sides of the stand.

You may find you have more room in the stand for something larger but if you go any smaller you could be disappointed with how easily a sump can run out of room. The BEST time to buy a sump is when Petsmart has a dollar per gallon tank sale.

Oh, a refugium is also good for mild pH stabilization. When the lights are on at night the plants use up co2 from the display tank and produce oxygen. That keeps the co2 from dropping at night. It also is a "refuge" for small animals like copepods and mysid shrimp to breed freely without getting eaten by your fish. The larvae get pumped into the main tank as food for the fish. That "refuge" is the basis for the term refugium.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
What about a 40 breeder tank for the sump? I'm just throwing it out there, I have no idea the dimensions.
Thought of a 40B.. width is 2 inches too big unfortunately :/

Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #223
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
I actually broke down my 30L reef tank a few months ago and gave it to my brother to use the tank as his sump/refugium and the live rock in his reef. A 30L is great because it's not as tall as a 29 so reaching into the sump to service or install pumps, reactors & skimmers is easier. It's also not to long so he still has room to keep stuff on the sides of the stand.

You may find you have more room in the stand for something larger but if you go any smaller you could be disappointed with how easily a sump can run out of room. The BEST time to buy a sump is when Petsmart has a dollar per gallon tank sale.

Oh, a refugium is also good for mild pH stabilization. When the lights are on at night the plants use up co2 from the display tank and produce oxygen. That keeps the co2 from dropping at night. It also is a "refuge" for small animals like copepods and mysid shrimp to breed freely without getting eaten by your fish. The larvae get pumped into the main tank as food for the fish. That "refuge" is the basis for the term refugium.
Ahh great information on refugiums.. makes me understand a lot better and yeah I think I wanna go with the 30G, only problem is actually finding a 30G tank for sale... does PETCO have these at the $/gal sale?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #224
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Ahh great information on refugiums.. makes me understand a lot better and yeah I think I wanna go with the 30G, only problem is actually finding a 30G tank for sale... does PETCO have these at the $/gal sale?
When they have the $1/g sale, it's for up to 40 or 50g. Don't think they're having the sale right now though.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

When they have the $1/g sale, it's for up to 40 or 50g. Don't think they're having the sale right now though.
Yeah I think the next one is near Xmas time lol.. um okay next question.. anyone know a good website for plumbing parts? Bulkheads? Those bendable tube things for flow? I just broke mine while cleaning.. seemed very brittle to me :/
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #226
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the piece that snapped out of one of the bulkheads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121104_085432.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	129523  
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #227
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always got my plumbing parts from either CustomAquatic or BulkReefSupply. I outfitted a whole coral reef shop with parts from Custom Aquatic years back.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #228
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
I always got my plumbing parts from either CustomAquatic or BulkReefSupply. I outfitted a whole coral reef shop with parts from Custom Aquatic years back.
Oh really? You think they'll have that part I'm looking for?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

More then likely.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I've ordered that exact part from both places. Just make sure to get the right size on both ends. You can call either place to find out how to measure it if you need to. It's a very common part.

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com