DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bearchumjs said:
Your coupon is still valid for Black Friday then? You're gonna get some good deals!

No apparently its only good until today but they are having another sale on black Friday I guess

Flushing as we speak :) this thing was so easy to hook up and run :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121116_162727.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121116_162727.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 92
ughh my day was goin so well, got my RODI unit, got my new heater.. go to test my bubble trap baffles again, and its STILL leaking!... just siliconed it a bit more and now its back to the waiting game. if it hasnt completely sealed after this attempt, im sayin screw it lol

Oh n i forgot to ask, where can i get cheap sand... and does it have to be "live" sand???

just used my 12% coupon and got 15lbs of Dry rock and a sound dampening pad for my return pump... darn shipping was like half the order lol

DanS180 said:
ughh my day was goin so well, got my RODI unit, got my new heater.. go to test my bubble trap baffles again, and its STILL leaking!... just siliconed it a bit more and now its back to the waiting game. if it hasnt completely sealed after this attempt, im sayin screw it lol

Oh n i forgot to ask, where can i get cheap sand... and does it have to be "live" sand???

I used pool filter sand. A 50lb bag from the local pool supply store was $10.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10765-picture46002.html

DanS180 said:
any cons about using pool sand?

You'll get a nice diatom bloom but it will go away. The grains are heavy enough to not get blown around but not large and ugly. It's not going to have bits and pieces of things like crushed coral or aragonite sand. I like it though. It was cheap and serves its purpose. Plus I think sand sifting gobies would be able to sift it around just fine. Here's a picture of some of it dry.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/57623-albums10777-picture46021.html

You'll get a nice diatom bloom but it will go away. The grains are heavy enough to not get blown around but not large and ugly. It's not going to have bits and pieces of things like crushed coral or aragonite sand. I like it though. It was cheap and serves its purpose. Plus I think sand sifting gobies would be able to sift it around just fine. Here's a picture of some of it dry.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Bearchumjs's Album: Random - Picture

hmmm... might have to go that route... mainly bc its cheap, dont get me wrong i love the look i have in my 29G tank but 40lbs of that sand cost me almost $50!! yikesssss

DanS180 said:
hmmm... might have to go that route... mainly bc its cheap, dont get me wrong i love the look i have in my 29G tank but 40lbs of that sand cost me almost $50!! yikesssss

How many lbs of sand you think you need? Maybe 100?

Also, I've enjoyed following along with your sump build. I now understand them! So thank you! :)

Bearchumjs said:
How many lbs of sand you think you need? Maybe 100?

Also, I've enjoyed following along with your sump build. I now understand them! So thank you! :)

I have no idea how much I'll need.. I'm gonna assume around 90lbs but who knows... and you're welcome! Its been a heck of a learning experience for myself as well haha

Sump... is still leaking... ehh how huge of a deal is it if the last baffle is leaking into the return chamber? This is getting ridiculous and my sump looks like one big silicone tank lol

DanS180 said:
Sump... is still leaking... ehh how huge of a deal is it if the last baffle is leaking into the return chamber? This is getting ridiculous and my sump looks like one big silicone tank lol

If it's the last baffle you may be able to scrape all of the silicone off the outside edge with a razor and put a fresh bead just on the outside (refugium side). If the leak is higher than the sand will be then it shouldn't be an issue at all unless it worsens which is unlikely but not impossible. It's hard to judge without seeing it.

CorallineAlgae said:
If it's the last baffle you may be able to scrape all of the silicone off the outside edge with a razor and put a fresh bead just on the outside (refugium side). If the leak is higher than the sand will be then it shouldn't be an issue at all unless it worsens which is unlikely but not impossible. It's hard to judge without seeing it.

Well no the fuge is fine.. that doesn't leak at all.. but the bubble trap.. the last baffle I have sealed to the bottom of the tank is leaking a little bit (Remember I have it set up so the water flows into the return chamber from the bottom) if u can't remember go back a few pages and look at my rough draft.. not the baffle that's floating.. the one that's glued to the bottom

DanS180 said:
Well no the fuge is fine.. that doesn't leak at all.. but the bubble trap.. the last baffle I have sealed to the bottom of the tank is leaking a little bit (Remember I have it set up so the water flows into the return chamber from the bottom) if u can't remember go back a few pages and look at my rough draft.. not the baffle that's floating.. the one that's glued to the bottom

Oh! I wouldn't sweat it. You need to be satisfied with it personally but if it's the last divider before the pump the concern is more with it being secure (won't dislodge) rather than it being water tight.

CorallineAlgae said:
Oh! I wouldn't sweat it. You need to be satisfied with it personally but if it's the last divider before the pump the concern is more with it being secure (won't dislodge) rather than it being water tight.

Lol okay good bc I'm about to give up with it! And Its definitely not going to dislodge itself.. a tube and a half of silicone later lol

Okay so I'm gonna go home today, put everything in place.. make sure all the plumbing is sealed and everything. Question tho, do I glue the pipe down into the overflow or just place them in there?? They weren't glued in when I bought it so I'm not sure

I've never dealt with built in overflows but I would think it wouldn't be glued in. Does it feel secure with no glue? Is it pressure fit or screw on?

I've never dealt with built in overflows but I would think it wouldn't be glued in. Does it feel secure with no glue? Is it pressure fit or screw on?

its pressure fit... i guess they feel okay... and i guess it doesnt matter either, bc the pipes coming out of the bottom are glued lol i just wanted to be sure, the pipes that were previously in there werent glued in so ill just leave these the same way...

Ya I wouldn't worry then. If they had the pressure from the pump then I might be but gravity is gonna be enough water pressure to be of any concern.

Back
Top Bottom