DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
I feel you man! These kinds of steps are where having a good book around helps the most. They always cover this stuff.

Okay, so recommendations? Just take all the sand out? Fill completely up, add salt, make sure salinity is right, then add sand again?

That's the normal procedure. You do not need to take ALL the sand out. If you can get most of it out it'll be fine. You just don't want salt settling into the sand and not dissolving. It will eventually dissolve and could raise your salinity without you noticing and it won't be good for organisms living in the sand.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's the normal procedure. You do not need to take ALL the sand out. If you can get most of it out it'll be fine. You just don't want salt settling into the sand and not dissolving. It will eventually dissolve and could raise your salinity without you noticing and it won't be good for organisms living in the sand.

Gotcha.. okay well i guess I'll be taking out as most as I can tonight and go from there.

Any other tips I should know? Lol

Could you mix the saltwater in your sump and then let the sump pump the water up into the tank? I'm just throwing out ideas. Removing all the sand sounds like a pain in the rear.

Bearchumjs said:
Could you mix the saltwater in your sump and then let the sump pump the water up into the tank? I'm just throwing out ideas. Removing all the sand sounds like a pain in the rear.

Sounds like a good idea on paper but it would take entirely way too long to do unfortunately, prob just be better off taking all the sand out lol

DanS180 said:
Sounds like a good idea on paper but it would take entirely way too long to do unfortunately, prob just be better off taking all the sand out lol

Yeah. Well as long as there's beer the sand won't be too much of a problem!

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah. Well as long as there's beer the sand won't be too much of a problem!

This is true! And I have a buddy of mine coming over with extra buckets to help so I guess its not too bad haha

anyone familiar with Reef Octopus?? i have mine hooked up and its been running for about 45 mins and still no white bubbles??? i have the gate valve opened up all the way to try n speed things up but nothing seems to be working...

Do you mean in the collection cup or the main chamber?

the main chamber... like its bubbling up but its not the bubbles that i want.. i tried uploadin a video for u guys to watch but its not letting me for some reason :/

Mrc8858 said:
I'm not too sure : /

Hmm.. me neither... well in any event, I took all the sand out, filled the sump up and leak tested....

...no leaks!! :) I did a good job plumbing my first system :) yayy haha..

Now I'm just waiting on the water to be made.. and in a couple days(hopefully) I'll have this tank running and the cycle beginning :)

Your not gonna see the same thing with fresh water which is why you cant skim a freshwater tank I'm pretty sure.

You only get small bubbles and foam in saltwater. Freshwater doesn't have enough surface tension to hold a foam or support micro-bubbles. Everything will change once the salt is in.

Lol now why didn't I think of that?? Hahaha me n my friend were like "why isn't this working yet".. I feel dumb haha but thank u guys :)

Back
Top Bottom