DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nevermind, i figured it out, now my only problem is, my intake is dumping it into my sump really fast/hard(causing bubbles and some splashing) how do i change that??

Salt has just been added... everything is working just fine other than the intake dumping too fast and i noticed my lower returns arent pushing out as much as the top returns are.. guess that might be bc of the way i ran the pipes perhaps?

I would have to see how they were rigged, usually the lower returns flow a bit faster as the back pressure on the highest ones is higher if you plumbed the return line into the bottom of the connecting return pipes. If you plumb to the top, the top return will flow faster as there is least resistance. I wouldn't worry about it unless the flow is really a lot different. Something I have done if the return pipe to your sump is under the water line to prevent splashing, you can drill a small hole in the PVC just above the water line in the pipe in the sump. This sometimes evens out the flow and prevents a siphon from forming.

Gregcoyote said:
I would have to see how they were rigged, usually the lower returns flow a bit faster as the back pressure on the highest ones is higher if you plumbed the return line into the bottom of the connecting return pipes. If you plumb to the top, the top return will flow faster as there is least resistance. I wouldn't worry about it unless the flow is really a lot different. Something I have done if the return pipe to your sump is under the water line to prevent splashing, you can drill a small hole in the PVC just above the water line in the pipe in the sump. This sometimes evens out the flow and prevents a siphon from forming.

Well I went thru the plumbing with everybody's help on here.. if u have time, check back near page 43ish? That's when I was doing the plumbing

It's better if the low return has much weaker flow in your design because it's so low it could displace lots of sand at high flow or buffet a fish against the rocks. I wouldn't worry unless it's shockingly slow. Moderate flow medina the rocks is ideal. You can easily increase the flow there by giving the ball valve to the high return a twist. It'll direct it straight to the other outlet. That's one reason you have the valve there. Try it out!

CorallineAlgae said:
It's better if the low return has much weaker flow in your design because it's so low it could displace lots of sand at high flow or buffet a fish against the rocks. I wouldn't worry unless it's shockingly slow. Moderate flow medina the rocks is ideal. You can easily increase the flow there by giving the ball valve to the high return a twist. It'll direct it straight to the other outlet. That's one reason you have the valve there. Try it out!

Yeah that is true haha.. I couldn't figure out my skimmer last night.. I had the valve all the way open and it was pulling out so much gunk and filling the cup quickly.. woke up this morning and it seems to have leveled itself out. Now im worried bc I have to turn the valve to the right a lot to get the foam to go up the chamber..

Gregcoyote said:
Maybe before I started I should have read thru the whole thread. Sounds like you have it under control.

Nah I'm kinda just playing this whole thing by ear Hahaha I had no idea what I was doing with this system until everyone on here helped me out :) and that's what I'm thankful for today.. you guys!! Happy thanksgiving!!

Sand is in.. settling as we speak.. my skimmer is pulling all sorts of gunk out already (probably from the sand)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121122_103654.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121122_103654.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20121122_103700.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121122_103700.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 93
DanS180 said:
Sand is in.. settling as we speak.. my skimmer is pulling all sorts of gunk out already (probably from the sand)

Dan, looking good. When is the rest of your rock due in? Happy Thanksgiving btw.

Bearchumjs said:
That's awesome! Are you going to start cycling it soon?

Well my plan is to let the sand settle first, then move it around as necessary, then wait til my rocks get here n start on that.. then after I'm done, adjust the salinity(bc I'm sure I'll have to) then I'll start the cycle.. all of my rocks are gonna have die off on them except for the batch I'm getting from BRS

SeanMonster said:
Dan, looking good. When is the rest of your rock due in? Happy Thanksgiving btw.

Thanks! You too!! Possibly tomorrow but if not then definitely Monday.

DanS180 said:
Thanks! You too!! Possibly tomorrow but if not then definitely Monday.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow so you have the weekend to hammer out that scape. :). BTW, I have my 90g on a thread titled "SeanMonster's 90g Reef" if you want to check it out.

SeanMonster said:
Fingers crossed for tomorrow so you have the weekend to hammer out that scape. :). BTW, I have my 90g on a thread titled "SeanMonster's 90g Reef" if you want to check it out.

I hope it gets here tomorrow not like its gonna matter anyways. I work all weekend :/ lol

And yeah I'll check yours out!

I know everyones skimmer is different but how many days do u guys usually go before cleaning out the collection cup??

Mine fills up roughly every week to 10 days but i feed very very lightly too.I also have mine cranked up a bit more so the skimmate is a little wetter then it should be.

Back
Top Bottom