Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282

Agreed!! Saltwater is expensive. That's why I have to wait until I am more established. Were almost talking about 8 to 10 thousands dollars to do it right. I want to do one, but want to be established and living in a home that I know I will be living for a long time.
You got that right! Crazy stuff.. I'm goin to look at the 90G tank today sometime after work and see how it is.. if its it good enough shape I think I'm gonna get it.. just not today, prob a day I have off

Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it better to make my own sump? Or purchase an already built sump? Any pros or cons??

Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

heres a few pics of what the tank looks like that im pretty sure im gonna be picking up. Needs to be cleaned obviously, but he said this is a "closed loop" system.. not sure exactly what that means but ive posted some pics to show everything attached to the back glass. He also said he was gonna throw in a couple big pieces of LR that he has no need for, so that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90G.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	121991   Click image for larger version

Name:	90G 2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	121992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	90G 3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	121993   Click image for larger version

Name:	90G 4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	121994  

Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was also wondering if someone can name a few good products like which skimmer? Light? etc. i was looking online and i came across this, not sure if its any good tho. let me know

Odyssea Protein Skimmer
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't say if the tank is good or not (I am not there. , but you can ask him to fill it with water and let it sit for a few days before you pick it up. Drain it when you get there, that way you can see if it leaks. Some leaks can be fixed with the right kind of stuff.

I am assuming it's a 90 gallon? Everyone has told me that Reef Octopus are some of the best skimmers. Also If it's a 90 gallon, go with Fluval 06 serious of canister filters. As far as what a close loop system is. I found this for you!

Closed loop system? - The Reef Tank

They talk about it. Does not sound anything really exciting, from what I gather it's just a system that pumps the water out of the tank and back into it for tank flow. So you don't need powerheads. :-p

I hope you get more information, I would go to the LFS that you trust and ask.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I can't say if the tank is good or not (I am not there. , but you can ask him to fill it with water and let it sit for a few days before you pick it up. Drain it when you get there, that way you can see if it leaks. Some leaks can be fixed with the right kind of stuff.

I am assuming it's a 90 gallon? Everyone has told me that Reef Octopus are some of the best skimmers. Also If it's a 90 gallon, go with Fluval 06 serious of canister filters. As far as what a close loop system is. I found this for you!

Closed loop system? - The Reef Tank

They talk about it. Does not sound anything really exciting, from what I gather it's just a system that pumps the water out of the tank and back into it for tank flow. So you don't need powerheads. :-p

I hope you get more information, I would go to the LFS that you trust and ask.
Well the tank needs to be cleaned for sure.. and if I do pick it up it prob won't be until Friday. Maybe I'll ask him to fill it today and leave it there, maybe even ask him to clean it haha... I wanna try and steer clear of doing a filter mainly bc I wanna do a sump/refugium. Been reading up on how to make my own and I might give it a shot.

I googled a closed loop system last night after I made that post and I came up with the same article haha its pretty much what you said.. more flow & less/no power heads

Any good DIY websites on making like a 30G sump?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I want to build my own sump....

maybe? lol

When it comes to sumps and filters outside of prebuilt ones I am not knowledgeable.
Also I wouldn't push the guy and ask him to clean it. :-p He might say screw you and sale to someone else. I think asking him to fill it is reasonable. Maybe put down half and pay the other half on pick up if it is not leaking.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I want to build my own sump....

maybe? lol

When it comes to sumps and filters outside of prebuilt ones I am not knowledgeable.
Also I wouldn't push the guy and ask him to clean it. :-p He might say screw you and sale to someone else. I think asking him to fill it is reasonable. Maybe put down half and pay the other half on pick up if it is not leaking.
Lol thanks for the link I'll check it out. N nah I was just at his place last night, he's pretty cool, my age, showed me his other tank that he just put up. I asked if he could fill it and he said, "it'd be tough to fill considering the closed loop system, you'd have to do plumbing first, then fill it or else it will come out the back, you have my word tho man, it doesn't leak, I just downsized"

I'm prolly just gonna get it.. do what I can to try n fill it up and see.. if there's any problems then we'll go from there.. oh well for $150 for tank/stand/plumbing/LR/built in overflow I think its worth it IMO
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

What r the main sections made up for in a sump? I know one spot is for the skimmer, but unsure of everything else

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com