Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #351
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
heres a few updated pics! and also the accumulated live rock i have gotten recently, not even sure how many pounds it is, but the 4 pieces on the right weigh prob 6-10lbs each

I'm sure that this is somewhere in this 24 page thread, but I don't remember: how many gallons is the sump? Just curious cuz I'm planning on a 125g within the next year and wanna make a sump for it. That sump looks great!!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #353
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

I'm sure that this is somewhere in this 24 page thread, but I don't remember: how many gallons is the sump? Just curious cuz I'm planning on a 125g within the next year and wanna make a sump for it. That sump looks great!!
Aw thank you! The sump is 30g.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #354
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gave my brother my 30 gallon reef tank to use as the sump for his 75. Turned out pretty nice. He has a refugium in it, too and loves it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #355
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Gave my brother my 30 gallon reef tank to use as the sump for his 75. Turned out pretty nice. He has a refugium in it, too and loves it.
Awesome, hope mine works out well.. looks good, just don't know how it'll perform haha
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know ive gotten help from a few people on this matter but can ANYONE show me how youd plumb this tank if it were your own? i have no clue what im doing and may have to do this on my own, heres a drawn out diagram, please help if u can :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing Idea.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	131002  
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I know ive gotten help from a few people on this matter but can ANYONE show me how youd plumb this tank if it were your own? i have no clue what im doing and may have to do this on my own, heres a drawn out diagram, please help if u can :/
The intake on the bottom probably should be capped off. I'd actually cap off both of the lower returns as well. Whoever drilled the tank went way to far for my taste. I'd use the overflow as the only drain, the overflow return as the only return. That way you'll only need one check valve and you'll have no possibility of water back siphoning out of the tank from the lower drill sites. I'm a BIG believer in making a reef as safe as possible. This is just what I would do.

The guy who drilled the tank must've been concerned, or paranoid, about dead spots behind his rock wall. Unless you plan on having a mountain of rock, going with a single drain and return would be the safest way to plumb the tank. Even if you have loads of rock, one powerhead behind the rock would give plenty of flow in the back.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

The intake on the bottom probably should be capped off. I'd actually cap off both of the lower returns as well. Whoever drilled the tank went way to far for my taste. I'd use the overflow as the only drain, the overflow return as the only return. That way you'll only need one check valve and you'll have no possibility of water back siphoning out of the tank from the lower drill sites. I'm a BIG believer in making a reef as safe as possible. This is just what I would do.

The guy who drilled the tank must've been concerned, or paranoid, about dead spots behind his rock wall. Unless you plan on having a mountain of rock, going with a single drain and return would be the safest way to plumb the tank. Even if you have loads of rock, one powerhead behind the rock would give plenty of flow in the back.
Hmm.. well maybe I'll block off the intake on the right side and the return on the left side.. I like having the one return in the middle.. if I kept the middle return and then my overflow, how would u do it?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #359
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Hmm.. well maybe I'll block off the intake on the right side and the return on the left side.. I like having the one return in the middle.. if I kept the middle return and then my overflow, how would u do it?
The drain would be standard, into the drain side of the sump into a sock or pantyhose. For the return, I'd hard plumb it with PVC. Go out of the pump to an elbow up then out to the back of the tank then up again then a "T" to each return. Make sure you use a good quality check valve on the return that goes into the low return. That stops the water from draining out from the display tank into the sump when the power is out or you turn the main pump off to clean it. Use a gate valve on each return line after the "T" so you can control the flow to each.

You could always soft plumb it with flex hose in the same way but you wouldn't need the elbows. It's really up to the person. I've done it both ways and been happy with each result. You can easily call BRS to get them to put together all the parts you'll need to do it either way.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #360
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

The drain would be standard, into the drain side of the sump into a sock or pantyhose. For the return, I'd hard plumb it with PVC. Go out of the pump to an elbow up then out to the back of the tank then up again then a "T" to each return. Make sure you use a good quality check valve on the return that goes into the low return. That stops the water from draining out from the display tank into the sump when the power is out or you turn the main pump off to clean it. Use a gate valve on each return line after the "T" so you can control the flow to each.

You could always soft plumb it with flex hose in the same way but you wouldn't need the elbows. It's really up to the person. I've done it both ways and been happy with each result. You can easily call BRS to get them to put together all the parts you'll need to do it either way.
Don't elbows restrict the max GPH from the pump?? I know I'm gonna have to have some T's but should I use as little of elbows as possible?

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com