Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #381
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
just ordered my Ro/Di unit from BRS, and a new heater all thats left now is my reactor, more rock and sand... oh and a light for my fuge. yayy for me
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #382
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Bout time lol which one did you get? And we are having a major communication issue lmao. Ok.. the return pump runs to the pvc, the pvc then runs up to the top of the sump and a short piece towards the back, then you have the first visible elbow in that picture. From that elbow why did you run it down and then over instead of just over to the T.
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #383
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
You have to add a check valve on the return lines. This is pretty critical because it'll stop a back siphon when the power is out. If you don't have one the water will drain into the sump all the way down to where your lowest return is in the tank. That would be most of the top tank.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #384
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Bout time lol which one did you get? And we are having a major communication issue lmao. Ok.. the return pump runs to the pvc, the pvc then runs up to the top of the sump and a short piece towards the back, then you have the first visible elbow in that picture. From that elbow why did you run it down and then over instead of just over to the T.
I got the 4 stage value plus one with the TDS meter, pressure gauge and membrane flush kit.

And I ran it that way bc if I would have just ran it right to the T it wouldn't have had the right angle and wouldn't have sat in there properly.. how I have it now isn't 100% lol it was just a rough draft.. still have some modifications to do n whatnot
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #385
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
You have to add a check valve on the return lines. This is pretty critical because it'll stop a back siphon when the power is out. If you don't have one the water will drain into the sump all the way down to where your lowest return is in the tank. That would be most of the top tank.
I thought u just said a ball valve? Lol ughhhh.. can u recommend a specific one? Link?
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #386
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

I thought u just said a ball valve? Lol ughhhh.. can u recommend a specific one? Link?
I mentioned the check valves in my posts on 11/10 and 11/11. BRS has a couple of different ones in the 3/4" size. I'd get any one for the high return and a really good one got the lower back wall return. That's the critical line that needs to be protected from back flow. I use the iPod app so it's hard to post links.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #387
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

I mentioned the check valves in my posts on 11/10 and 11/11. BRS has a couple of different ones in the 3/4" size. I'd get any one for the high return and a really good one got the lower back wall return. That's the critical line that needs to be protected from back flow. I use the iPod app so it's hard to post links.
Lol no problem, thanks and yeah I did see that u mentioned them before. I wasn't barking at u or anything, I just thought that "check" and "ball" were the same thing lol stupid me for assuming.. k well I'll check on BRS and see what I can find, thank you again!
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #388
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Okay I found 2 different ones.. swing check valve for $17.99 and then there's one called a "wye" check valve for $44.99! Lol I don't think I wanna put out 45 for a check valve. Esp after spending close to $500 on equip the past week or so lol
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #389
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Then it's a simple choice. Just get two of the $18 ones. You may even be able to get by with one. Call BRS and ask them what they think. It may be better to get one good one placed a bit lower in the return line than to have 2 normal ones placed at each return. Either way, they deal with these questions all the time and they know their stuff. See what they say and let us know what you decide. I'm sure whatever you do will work out.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #390
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Then it's a simple choice. Just get two of the $18 ones. You may even be able to get by with one. Call BRS and ask them what they think. It may be better to get one good one placed a bit lower in the return line than to have 2 normal ones placed at each return. Either way, they deal with these questions all the time and they know their stuff. See what they say and let us know what you decide. I'm sure whatever you do will work out.
Let's hope so, I def don't want a flood in my apartment especially with being on the top floor! Lol I'm probably just gonna get 2 of the $18 ones and call it a day.. where exactly in the lines should they go?
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.