Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #391
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer section is leak free however my bubble trap is giving me crap.. does it make a big difference if the bubble trap has little leaks? As long as my fuge is completely sealed, I shouldn't have any problems right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121113_205545.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	131673  

Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #392
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone from NJ

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #393
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its just a slow leak then it shouldnt be an issue unless you can see bubbles traveling thru the gaps.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #394
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
If its just a slow leak then it shouldnt be an issue unless you can see bubbles traveling thru the gaps.
Okay bc some of these leaks I might not be able to fix depending on how high up they are.. can't get my hands down between the baffles lol
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #395
Aquarium Advice Addict

And thanks for the heads up! Lol not sure how far he is from me but I'll find out! Haha
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #396
Aquarium Advice Addict

so ive been getting mixed reviews of having check valves in a system, some people say they're a must, other people say "if u need a check valve, then the system isnt designed right".... lol i really cant afford to take a chance of a flood, i mean i have renters insurance but still lol no one wants to go thru that... people say check valves fail alot. is that true?

where would i put the valves in my system?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #397
Aquarium Advice Addict

They both have points. The thing is, your system needs it. Nobody drills three extra holes low in their tank for returns without using check valves. If the power goes out or you turn off your pump gravity WILL push the water down whatever pipe is connected to any one of those holes... unless something stops it.

I'd put one check valve right under the "T" that splits your two return lines and one above the "T" that goes to the low return. That way, if the first check ever fails the second one will be it's backup.

I've plumed many many many tanks. Almost none used checks. The ones that did use them truly needed them to protect the home or business. In your tank it's only optional to have the second check under the T for backup. They actually can fail. I'd either use both or simply not use the extra holes in the back of the tank. Those are what's causing all the risk.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #398
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
They both have points. The thing is, your system needs it. Nobody drills three extra holes low in their tank for returns without using check valves. If the power goes out or you turn off your pump gravity WILL push the water down whatever pipe is connected to any one of those holes... unless something stops it.

I'd put one check valve right under the "T" that splits your two return lines and one above the "T" that goes to the low return. That way, if the first check ever fails the second one will be it's backup.

I've plumed many many many tanks. Almost none used checks. The ones that did use them truly needed them to protect the home or business. In your tank it's only optional to have the second check under the T for backup. They can fail. I'd use both.
okay you have a point lol im confused as to where u want me to put these valves tho? the one above the "T" i get, but one below? the "T" runs horizontally
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #399
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
okay you have a point lol im confused as to where u want me to put these valves tho? the one above the "T" i get, but one below? the "T" runs horizontally
You can either put it vertically 'between' the bottom of the "T" and the elbow or below the elbow that turns the pipe back down to run it to your pump.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #400
Aquarium Advice Addict

i cant seem to grasp your concept lol im sorry, which numbers???? hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	131937  

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com