DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow drastic changes for Day 7..
Ammo .50ppm
Nitrite 1-2ppm(closer to 2)
Nitrate 20-40ppm(closer to 40ppm)

:)

really weird results for Day 8..
Ammo - .50-1ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Salinity 1.023

Figure ill bring the Salinity up with adding salt to my top offs for a bit(obviously mixing it first).

Question... when I do my initial water change after the cycle has completed, how do I go about doing it?

Like, do I have to turn off the pump and stop the flow of the tank or just siphon water out and go about it regularly??

Question... when I do my initial water change after the cycle has completed, how do I go about doing it?

Like, do I have to turn off the pump and stop the flow of the tank or just siphon water out and go about it regularly??

I shut off everything but the heater because water level is too low to go over the overflow. I can get a 20-30g water change done in less than an hour an this doesn't pose any problems to livestock (I know you don't have any yet) nor does it cause the tank to recycle.

I shut off everything but the heater because water level is too low to go over the overflow. I can get a 20-30g water change done in less than an hour an this doesn't pose any problems to livestock (I know you don't have any yet) nor does it cause the tank to recycle.

Okay cool, when I turn off the pump, will the siphon stop on its own?

DanS180 said:
Okay cool, when I turn off the pump, will the siphon stop on its own?

It'll stop as soon as the water level drops below the overflow box. The overflow has to have water above the teeth of the box to drain. It's going to make a lot of sense once you start the water change. Piece of cake.

Siphon will stop thru the overflow but there could be back siphon thru the return drilling two 1/8 inch holes just below the water line will prevent this.two just in case a snail covers one.

Siphon will stop thru the overflow but there could be back siphon thru the return drilling two 1/8 inch holes just below the water line will prevent this.two just in case a snail covers one.

Yeah I have the holes already in the pipe.. guess it was a premade durso standpipe from the previous owner.

How about on your return line?will the return opening be above water when overflow siphon stops if not there could be back siphon thru return line.melevsreef . com sumps has some good info

How about on your return line?will the return opening be above water when overflow siphon stops if not there could be back siphon thru return line.melevsreef . com sumps has some good info

I have built in check valves in 2 different spots of my system so I should be good, hopefully lol

Day 9 results
Ammo .50ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Salinity 1.023 still(I keep topping off with salt water so I guess it'll eventually get there)

Just thought I'd ask. BTW, just downloaded an app called AquaPlanner Pro for $2.99. You should check it out. :)

Somebody else told me about that on this forum! Guess I will have to check it out, sounds interesting and really helpful

Day 10..
Ammo .50ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Salinity 1.024

Just food for thought. Have you had your lfs double check your tests? Not questioning your results but I always get a second check when cycling and periodically afterwards. Looking good though. Everything is going in the right direction.

Just food for thought. Have you had your lfs double check your tests? Not questioning your results but I always get a second check when cycling and periodically afterwards. Looking good though. Everything is going in the right direction.

No I haven't, mainly bc they test water with strips and they're supposedly inaccurate right?

Back
Top Bottom