DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denitrifying bacteria in the sand and rock may also be playing a part. I'm surprised your alkalinity hasn't dropped if your nitrates have gotten so low.

well i havent been testing for Alk yet so who knows.. i figure ill wait until i atleast get my lights

That i didn't know.. TBH I haven't tested my pH in awhile. Maybe I should do that lol

Yeah. For some reason I want to say alk has something to do with PH... Or water hardness... Or maybe I'm way off base. Do a pH test anyway to make sure it's ok. Lol!

Just for future reference for me what are the ideal levels for everything in a saltwater tank? I know 0 ammo and nitrites but what nitrates and what else should be tested?

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-0
Nitrate- as close to 0 as possible
Ph-8-8.4
Phosphate-0
Calcium-450
Idk others off the top of my head.

Just for future reference for me what are the ideal levels for everything in a saltwater tank? I know 0 ammo and nitrites but what nitrates and what else should be tested?

Ammo, Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate close to 0 as possible
Calcium 400-500ppm
Magnesium usually triple the amount of whatever your calcium is
Ph 8-8.4 usually
kH between 8°-12°
Phosphates 0ppm

Yeah. For some reason I want to say alk has something to do with PH... Or water hardness... Or maybe I'm way off base. Do a pH test anyway to make sure it's ok. Lol!

pH and alkalinity are directly related. I can usually guess pretty close what my pH is based on the ppm alkalinity.

DanS180 said:
Just tested.. kinda hard to tell. Looks like 8.1ish

It looks like it's starting to drop a little which is expected. It's not all that low. I'd bump it up a bit just to keep it from going in the red as your bacteria colony expands.

I'd wait until the cycle is done to do a water change. Just use some buffer or baking soda (nearly identical). Whatever you use for your other tank should be fine. You don't need to get it high, about 10 is a good mark.

I'd wait until the cycle is done to do a water change. Just use some buffer or baking soda (nearly identical). Whatever you use for your other tank should be fine. You don't need to get it high, about 10 is a good mark.

No I meant my pH is 8.1.. I didn't even test my kH lol

Ughh this stinks, I wanna get at least 1 of my 2 lights ordered but the price has been goin up on eBay, i guess due to the holidays right around the corner.. I may have to wait until after Christmas to get 1 of the 2 and if that's the case.. my future chromis are going to be exploring with the lights out lol

Day 18 everything is still the sane except for nitrates. They're back to 80.. I may have messed up on yesterdays test which gave me a result of 40ppm. pH is definitely 8.1 tho.

Back
Top Bottom