DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not necessarily true. All the tanks I've had always had zero nitrates even when I went a few months without water changes. My brother hasn't seen nitrates either. It's very possible but a reasonable fish load is important. Lots of live rock and plants play a big role.

But you're right. He's got to feed the bacteria.

Okay well I'll just go get a cheap damsel for my sump after work today.

So what happens if the damsel dies? Is my water just contaminated with an unknown element? Lol

Well my fuge is filled with live sand/bacteria and I put a few hermits in there, that's not enough? If not then I'll go out n get a damsel tonight

The nitrogen that we convert from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates comes from the food that we add to our tanks. Organisms don't produce the nitrogen. They just convert it to different forms through their metabolism.

What you are looking for are readings of zero when you are adding a reasonable amount of food (nitrogen source is largely to proteins in the food) is being added to fuel you fish, hermits, snails, corals, etc.

That is why we add a shrimp to decompose during a fishless cycle. As it decomposes, it provides a nitrogen source to grow bacteria colonies.

Okay well I'll just go get a cheap damsel for my sump after work today.

So what happens if the damsel dies? Is my water just contaminated with an unknown element? Lol

No if he dies leave him in there. Food for the hermits and as he decomposes he will be a nitrogen source for your bacteria.

I don't think you will have issues with a damsel. They are tough little guys.

No if he dies leave him in there. Food for the hermits and as he decomposes he will be a nitrogen source for your bacteria.

I don't think you will have issues with a damsel. They are tough little guys.

Wouldn't leaving him in there cause an ammo spike tho? Itd be just like leaving a raw shrimp in there..

Wouldn't leaving him in there cause an ammo spike tho? Itd be just like leaving a raw shrimp in there..

I think they are saying if he dies leave him so that way your bacteria are fed until you figure out why the fish are dying. If he dies and you are planning on getting another fish immediately than I'd take him out. Your bacteria ought to be able to handle a dead fish but it could cause a spike. It's just something to watch out for. However, I don't think he will die. :) I want a yellow tail damsel, so if you get one try and get a picture! (I know in the sump it might be hard though.)

I think they are saying if he dies leave him so that way your bacteria are fed until you figure out why the fish are dying. If he dies and you are planning on getting another fish immediately than I'd take him out. Your bacteria ought to be able to handle a dead fish but it could cause a spike. It's just something to watch out for. However, I don't think he will die. :) I want a yellow tail damsel, so if you get one try and get a picture! (I know in the sump it might be hard though.)

Didn't get a chance to make it to the LFS last night so im gonna go today. I'll snap a pic for ya if they have that specific one :)

Both blue and white

ForumRunner_20130103_101755.jpg

Just blue

ForumRunner_20130103_101801.jpg

Just white

ForumRunner_20130103_101809.jpg

Picture doesn't really do justice as to how bright these lights really are. Now I just gotta hang it :)

Looks like you may need to raise the light a bit or else the center might be dark but it looks great! Wish I had a reef that size :( lol

Looks like you may need to raise the light a bit or else the center might be dark but it looks great! Wish I had a reef that size :( lol

Thanks matt! Yeah a buddy of mine said to raise it as well. im just gonna wait til i get my other one in and adjust em then :)

I just raised the light up a couple inches and it looks the same for the most part. i think when i get the 2nd light itll turn out just fine :)

Thanks! im hoping within the next couple of weeks, just had to fork up some money for the unexpected but we all know how that goes haha :)

Yeah, the unexpected always hurts. Was going to convert my 180g to a reef but the house needs a roof. Priorities suck. Haha

It can but not usually.

How about putting the light in the center of the tank until both lights are in?! You could use the chains from each hook in the ceiling and two chains to center it.

Back
Top Bottom