DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It can but not usually.

How about putting the light in the center of the tank until both lights are in?! You could use the chains from each hook in the ceiling and two chains to center it.

Lol not a bad idea. But wouldn't the center brace create a dark "bar" in the tank? I have to install the other hook anyways so I guess I can give it a whirl haha

Oh and the reason I ask about the cheato is bc mines almost all brown and not really in "ball" form anymore. Probably just diatoms right?

DanS180 said:

O_O

Awesome light! If they're dimable you may want to lower the whites to get a bluer look for the cycle. You won't need much light until you add a coral and even then you'll want to acclimate them to the new light. Don't want to bleach anything! Most people start at about 20% power for that fixture. Many people only run them at like 60% maximum unless they have a deep tank or lots of SPSs that shade lower corals.

O_O

Awesome light! If they're dimable you may want to lower the whites to get a bluer look for the cycle. You won't need much light until you add a coral and even then you'll want to acclimate them to the new light. Don't want to bleach anything! Most people start at about 20% power for that fixture. Many people only run them at like 60% maximum unless they have a deep tank or lots of SPSs that shade lower corals.

Yeah I just turned the light up all the way for the picture :) I'm gonna leave the lights off for the most part until I put something in there

I have the damsel in the sump right now so we'll see if it survives over the next few days

If you run mostly blues you may be able to get a little coralline to grow. You could run like 20% blue and 10% white until you start acclimating corals. If you have a piece of coralline covered rock in your other tank you can seed the new one by turning off the main pump and scraping off some coralline over the new rock with a knife. Where the bits and dust settle it can sometimes take off. After about 30 minutes you can kick the pump back on. I've gotten a lot of my tanks started like that. No reason not to get it started. It prefers lower light anyway.

I hope the damsel does well! The light looks awesome. Thank you for the pictures. I wish I could answer your questions about the chaetomorph. I have no idea though. Damsel pic maybe?

I hope the damsel does well! The light looks awesome. Thank you for the pictures. I wish I could answer your questions about the chaetomorph. I have no idea though. Damsel pic maybe?

Here's the best pic I could get of him :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130104_075845.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130104_075845.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 112
If you run mostly blues you may be able to get a little coralline to grow. You could run like 20% blue and 10% white until you start acclimating corals. If you have a piece of coralline covered rock in your other tank you can seed the new one by turning off the main pump and scraping off some coralline over the new rock with a knife. Where the bits and dust settle it can sometimes take off. After about 30 minutes you can kick the pump back on. I've gotten a lot of my tanks started like that. No reason not to get it started. It prefers lower light anyway.

Not a bad idea with the scraping. I have my lights on right now but very low. As far as scraping tho, I don't think I have a good enough rock to scrape off just yet lol but I'll see when I get home

The chaeto does look pretty brown in that pic. I usually have little bits that turn brown and die but never the whole ball.

Sorry if I missed this earlier cause I just joined in, but what type of light is in your fuge?

The chaeto does look pretty brown in that pic. I usually have little bits that turn brown and die but never the whole ball.

Sorry if I missed this earlier cause I just joined in, but what type of light is in your fuge?

If thats indeed chaeto then its dead id remove it

But how do we know its dead and not just brown algae? I mean my entire fuge is covered in brown algae right now

The light is a Full daylight spectrum bulb(I forget specifics) but its a cheap fixture from Lowes.

But how do we know its dead and not just brown algae? I mean my entire fuge is covered in brown algae right now

The light is a Full daylight spectrum bulb(I forget specifics) but its a cheap fixture from Lowes.

Chaeto is green There are brown algaes but chaeto is not one

No I know that. I mean brown algae covering it???

Looks dead to me if you shake it does the brown come off? If not its dead i never really seen chaeto get covered in algae so imo its dead id replace it judging by what i see

Looks dead to me if you shake it does the brown come off? If not its dead i never really seen chaeto get covered in algae so imo its dead id replace it judging by what i see

And if it is dead probably releasing nutrient back into water

Something's wrong. I can catch this guy with my bare hand. He puts up no fight whatsoever. Testing water now.

ForumRunner_20130104_160411.jpg

Salinity 1.025
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
pH 8.1
Temp 77-78°
Phos 0ppm
kH 11°
Calc 460ppm
Mag 1460-1480ppm

Numbers wise, my tank should be pretty awesome but for some reason, 7 fish went in and so far 6 have died and 1 is on it's last leg.

Anyone have any idea as to what's going on??

Hey dude I'm having the same exact problem. I've lost a handful of fish but my corals are fine. The only fish still alive is my 1 clown I got back in October. I have no idea what's causing it. We need to find out

Back
Top Bottom