Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #561
Aquarium Advice Addict

nevermind, i figured it out, now my only problem is, my intake is dumping it into my sump really fast/hard(causing bubbles and some splashing) how do i change that??

Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #562
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Easiest thing to do is add a filter sock.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #563
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Easiest thing to do is add a filter sock.
im trying to stay away from the filter sock, but my intake is submerged into my sump for the sole reason of not making noise lol but its coming out too powerful
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #564
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt has just been added... everything is working just fine other than the intake dumping too fast and i noticed my lower returns arent pushing out as much as the top returns are.. guess that might be bc of the way i ran the pipes perhaps?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #565
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ideas Greg???
Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #566
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would have to see how they were rigged, usually the lower returns flow a bit faster as the back pressure on the highest ones is higher if you plumbed the return line into the bottom of the connecting return pipes. If you plumb to the top, the top return will flow faster as there is least resistance. I wouldn't worry about it unless the flow is really a lot different. Something I have done if the return pipe to your sump is under the water line to prevent splashing, you can drill a small hole in the PVC just above the water line in the pipe in the sump. This sometimes evens out the flow and prevents a siphon from forming.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #567
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I would have to see how they were rigged, usually the lower returns flow a bit faster as the back pressure on the highest ones is higher if you plumbed the return line into the bottom of the connecting return pipes. If you plumb to the top, the top return will flow faster as there is least resistance. I wouldn't worry about it unless the flow is really a lot different. Something I have done if the return pipe to your sump is under the water line to prevent splashing, you can drill a small hole in the PVC just above the water line in the pipe in the sump. This sometimes evens out the flow and prevents a siphon from forming.
Well I went thru the plumbing with everybody's help on here.. if u have time, check back near page 43ish? That's when I was doing the plumbing
Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #568
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Maybe before I started I should have read thru the whole thread. Sounds like you have it under control.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #569
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's better if the low return has much weaker flow in your design because it's so low it could displace lots of sand at high flow or buffet a fish against the rocks. I wouldn't worry unless it's shockingly slow. Moderate flow medina the rocks is ideal. You can easily increase the flow there by giving the ball valve to the high return a twist. It'll direct it straight to the other outlet. That's one reason you have the valve there. Try it out!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #570
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
It's better if the low return has much weaker flow in your design because it's so low it could displace lots of sand at high flow or buffet a fish against the rocks. I wouldn't worry unless it's shockingly slow. Moderate flow medina the rocks is ideal. You can easily increase the flow there by giving the ball valve to the high return a twist. It'll direct it straight to the other outlet. That's one reason you have the valve there. Try it out!
Yeah that is true haha.. I couldn't figure out my skimmer last night.. I had the valve all the way open and it was pulling out so much gunk and filling the cup quickly.. woke up this morning and it seems to have leveled itself out. Now im worried bc I have to turn the valve to the right a lot to get the foam to go up the chamber..

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com